Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 09-26-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this bad? My little 2.3turbo mustang took a crap on me last week. This is what I found

Old 09-26-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racinfast002
is this bad? My little 2.3turbo mustang took a crap on me last week. This is what I found

I've worked on two Ford Rangers that did the exact same thing. In both cases they were driven by my friends kids. They overheated and the kids kept driving them, resulting in the meltdown. If I remember correctly it was the number 2 cylinder in both Rangers. Both of them needed new cylinder heads; the Ford 2.3 is known for cracking cylinder heads when they overheat.

Last edited by ASTE25; 09-26-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:24 AM
JK Junkie

Default Rubi-Gene

Originally Posted by Wilky
Must be Friday...cause Gary let Wilbur out of the barn.
I spied with my little eye Rubi-Gene out for a spin heading up Research Blvd around 1230 today.

Looked like she was running larger tires than in the past, but only caught a glimpse so am probably mistaken (unless you're finally helping Anthony with his flat spots - too much longer just sitting and they'll be permanently deformed).
Old 09-26-2010, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Dennis is holding out on you guys!! We saw a Desoto Rat Rod the other day, and he snapped several pics but hasn't posted them yet. It looked "similar" to the one below, but no rust, no radiator, and the engine was smaller with a Sundrop bottle and Budweiser beer can incorporated into the "plumbing".

No one was around the Rat Rod initially, but after we started checking it out, roughly 8-9 other guys congregated with their cameras and started snapping shots.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ASTE25
I've worked on two Ford Rangers that did the exact same thing. In both cases they were driven by my friends kids. They overheated and the kids kept driving them, resulting in the meltdown. If I remember correctly it was the number 2 cylinder in both Rangers. Both of them needed new cylinder heads; the Ford 2.3 is known for cracking cylinder heads when they overheat.
it never overheated, but it was running hotter than normal. I thought it popped a head gasket, but no such luck.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Dennis is holding out on you guys!! We saw a Desoto Rat Rod the other day, and he snapped several pics but hasn't posted them yet. It looked "similar" to the one below, but no rust, no radiator, and the engine was smaller with a Sundrop bottle and Budweiser beer can incorporated into the "plumbing".

No one was around the Rat Rod initially, but after we started checking it out, roughly 8-9 other guys congregated with their cameras and started snapping shots.

My brother is into rat rods, he has a 31 model a and a 43 plymouth. Look up on youtube "Plymoth rat rod" it is the flat yellow one...They are pretty cool
Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sushi
that damage was caused by detonation (due to a lean condition or timing) this is common in forced induction applications. I've built and tuned turbo motorcycles and seen this first hand. The detonation will actually lift the top ring land off the piston, which in turn sticks the second ring and the oil ring, causing compression into the block (major blow by). Most of the time it is caused by increased boost without the supporting fuel or running low octane fuel with increased boost. Octane decreases detonation.

Detonation is when the air fuel mixture burns before the plug fires the mix, the air/fuel charge is ignited by the pressure and heat in the cylinder. A lean air/fuel mix is easier to ignite than a rich mixture. Use of higher octane fuel slows the burn of the gas.

can't see the pictures but I totally agree. The tune was always questionable when I got this car. It had base timing at 20* and they were bleeding off reference to the wastegate. Needless to say, it had been way abused. It was on its last leg. Anyway, picked up a new block, pistons, cam (a little bigger), followers, PK1 computer, and 35 lbs injectors. I'm going to nip it in the butt this time. Once its rebuilt right, it should be good to go.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi

Funny you should post this. I saw that thing cruising around Madison some time last week. Looks sweet! Then, last Friday, I pulled up next to this on my way to lunch:

I like the Rat Rod look. It's been played out for a while, but I still enjoy seeing a nicely done (or un-done) Rat.

Anthony
Old 09-27-2010, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

If I can ever not have to work on my bike or the JK I could go back to work on my 42 Chevy truck
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MDodson
If I can ever not have to work on my bike or the JK I could go back to work on my 42 Chevy truck
Now that is cool!

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat