Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I jacked up the rear tonight, but didn't take the tires off. I put the jeep in gear and it looked like there was a little shimmy in the tire, but it could have looked that way because the tire was dirty too. Luckily, the shimmy I may have seen was not as pronounced as the video I posted last night. I'll pull the tires this weekend and take another look with the lugnuts on.

So I'm looking at three options right now: 1) do nothing, 2) spend $500-600 on a shaft and flange, if necessary or 3) go to 4wd.com and buy a complete Mopar Rubicon rear axle for $2K.

Option 3 is tempting, but I think I'll end up going with option 1.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Well, I jacked up the rear tonight, but didn't take the tires off. I put the jeep in gear and it looked like there was a little shimmy in the tire, but it could have looked that way because the tire was dirty too. Luckily, the shimmy I may have seen was not as pronounced as the video I posted last night. I'll pull the tires this weekend and take another look with the lugnuts on.

So I'm looking at three options right now: 1) do nothing, 2) spend $500-600 on a shaft and flange, if necessary or 3) go to 4wd.com and buy a complete Mopar Rubicon rear axle for $2K.

If you didn't notice it untill you had the wheel off, and you didn't feel it in the pedal during braking, I'd just let it ride. I'm thinking that the problem was you didn't have the lug nuts holding the rotor square to the axle, which caused an illusion there was a problem. Now you have yourself fooled into thinking there is a problem. Come to think about it, the day we went on our ride and I followed you there and back, I never noticed and lateral runout on your wheels. As bad as that looked in the video it would have been really obvious on the tire. Unless you have done something between then and now, I am pretty confident that you do not have a problem. The best way to check it is to take the wheel and rotor off and check the axle flange itself. It would help if you had a dial indicator, but you will be able to see it with the naked eye if it's really as bad as it looked in the video.

Last edited by ASTE25; 09-20-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Denny2565

How about a Dana 60?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

I priced a few Dana 60s. Those ended up being Option # infinity plus 1.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wilky
To those on the thread that have gone the TM 5-inch lift route....
have any of you noticed a really annoying squeek coming from the front end?? It happens even with the slightest bump and can be replicated in the parking lot by pushing up/down on the front bumper. Initial thoughts are the coils sitting in the upper factory perches (I removed the 3/4 inch spacers when I put the new lift on).
Probably the bearings on the 6 hamster wheels up front that are used to power the JK down the road. You had better spray some WD-40 on them before it is too late.

Yea, I know ................. a lot of help I am.

Anthony
Old 09-21-2010, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Remove this bracket if you have one. I was lucky that I was only go about 25 when it broke. It was the worst Death Wooble I had ever felt.

Skyjacker Front Track Bar Bracket for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 2.5"-5" Lift
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Broke Jeep 003..jpg
Views:	41
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	90169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broke Jeep 002..jpg
Views:	49
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	90170  
Old 09-21-2010, 04:06 PM
JK Junkie

Default Wraparound Windjammer

On my recent trip to Coal Creek, I used my Mopar sunbonnet with my Bestop duster and wraparound windjammer combo to cover up. Endured some fairly intense rain but stayed nice and dry inside. I had heard that the windjammer restricted the seats from going all the way back, but I was plenty comfy and didn't feel claustrophobic. On the downside, rear vision was impeded somewhat, but I got used to using my side mirrors (I don't think the shorter drivers among us would have this issue).

First time out with the wraparound, but overall can recommend this option for those that might be interested.

Here's what it looks like on an Unlimited.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Junkie

Default Skyjacker

Originally Posted by MDodson
Remove this bracket if you have one. I was lucky that I was only go about 25 when it broke. It was the worst Death Wooble I had ever felt.
Skyjacker Front Track Bar Bracket for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 2.5"-5" Lift
Sorry to hear about the damage, but glad you're okay Monty. Removing/avoiding this hardware is also especially true of the older rear track bar bracket "designed" by this company.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am glad I never put the rear on it will be scrap now. Not even sure what it will cost to have it fixed.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MDodson
I am glad I never put the rear on it will be scrap now. Not even sure what it will cost to have it fixed.
Probably need to do a little welding to re-attach the stock front bracket, then purchase the JKS or Teraflex support bracket as reinforcement for the final solution. Maybe a couple hundred total?

By the way, here's a pic from some poor unfortunate documenting the rear bracket "in action".

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat