Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 09-19-2010, 02:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kollinsb
I'm needing a good reliable shop near Nashville (I live in West and work in Nashville) that can install 5.13s for me. I have a 4 door X. I haven't ordered the gears yet but am looking to get this done quickly. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Check with 4WD in Nashville
4095 B Nolensville Pike Nashville , TN 37211
Old 09-19-2010, 07:52 PM
JK Junkie

Chris/Jayson

Bet your daughters would love camping even more if they could spend the night in one of these (not sure how it would handle the rain, which is important given our track record).

Old 09-19-2010, 09:30 PM
JK Freak

Warped rotor or bent shaft?

I had a bad brake squeak last year and replaced the pads last December. A couple months after replacement, the squeak came back. I didn't worry about it too much because the squeak would come and go. Over the past couple months, the squeak was becoming more persistent so I pulled the tires off to check things out. The pads were fine, so I pulled the rotor off. It had a lot of dirt and debris in it so I cleaned it out and thought that would fix it. On a hunch, I decided to put the jeep in drive and check the rotor rotation.

Here's what I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMjNc9P9tt4

Last edited by Denny2565; 09-19-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Warped rotor or bent shaft?

I had a bad brake squeak last year and replaced the pads last December. A couple months after replacement, the squeak came back. I didn't worry about it too much because the squeak would come and go. Over the past couple months, the squeak was becoming more persistent so I pulled the tires off to check things out. The pads were fine, so I pulled the rotor off. It had a lot of dirt and debris in it so I cleaned it out and thought that would fix it. On a hunch, I decided to put the jeep in drive and check the rotor rotation.

Here's what I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMjNc9P9tt4
I'm thinking your lug nuts hold the rotor on and thats what you are seeing
Old 09-20-2010, 01:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Chris/Jayson

Bet your daughters would love camping even more if they could spend the night in one of these (not sure how it would handle the rain, which is important given our track record).

I was thinking of buying it for myself!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Divescaves
I'm thinking your lug nuts hold the rotor on and thats what you are seeing
Good point. I'll try this again, but with a few lugnuts on next time.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Good point. I'll try this again, but with a few lugnuts on next time.
I agree, if you had that much runout you'd definatly feel it in the pedal. I have never seen a rotor "warped" that much. It could possably be a bent axle shaft, however, you'd still feel that in the pedal as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ASTE25
Micah, I'm sure you feel his pain.
LOL I just saw that post. Fortunately my new tires are sitting in storage waiting for the lift application
Old 09-20-2010, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

Default bent axle

I have the same issue, and as much as I tried to make myself believe that it was a rotor, or something other than a shaft, that is what I keep coming back to. Chromoly axles are needed.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Junkie

Default Rear Axle - shaft and flange

Okay, I keep reading posts like this one ----> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...8+pinion+shaft that give the impression that the rear shaft in a D44 is almost indestructible unless one is going airborne with their Jeep. But, here in the South, I keep hearing about folks bending their rear shafts/flanges.

Dumb question time - are they two separate parts, or is it more a matter of semantics where say, the shaft didn't break, but the flange on the shaft is bent out of shape, thus requiring a whole new shaft w/ flange?

If the latter is correct, what help is a chromoly shaft if the flange is the weak point?

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat