Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 08-17-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Stuff

Originally Posted by RCAllen
thanks much for the info i will try this when i get home. radio stations are easy to re-create, not many saved, do you think i will lose all the music i have loaded to the internal hard drive? some of that was loaned disks and i know i cant redo those....well either way it's just some music...more to come....
Denny would have to answer this one. I have the version just below the "top of the line" MyGig option, and I hardly know how to turn it on, much less load music, etc into it (if no one believes me - ask Denny and Steve).

Originally Posted by Divescaves
When I rebooted I took both battery cables off the battery then touched them together the (+) and (-) with them (not connected to the battery)..I don't know if it's the same for Jeep but I don't think it would hurt if the other didn't work, might be worth a try
Probably true Ed, but I believe Robin can accomplish what she needs by merely removing the negative cable, carefully setting it aside, waiting 5 minutes, then re-attaching. If not, we'll have her try removing both cables, and touching them together to reset the ECU.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Does anyone know of a shop that has a Road Force balancer and techs that know how to use it?
Somewhere here in the Tennessee Valley?
Old 08-17-2010, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

Default Dual Battery Impulse Purchase - Update

Thought I'd let you guys know that after wringing my hands over whether to order the Benchmark Dual Battery setup and chance delayed shipment, etc., etc., I've decided to just buy one (singular) Die Hard Platinum battery.

Dual batteries seemed like a great idea after I read about some guy who knew this other guy, whose girlfriend's second cousin had an uncle who was in the middle of the Amazon basin when his battery went dead - he had to make a deal with head-hunters to canoe him out, and he barely escaped with his life. Dual batteries would have prevented that near death experience. Then I read about how some guy, with dual batteries, welded two Jeeps together using his Ready Welder when they broke down on some remote trail, helping everyone to return safely home, and I thought - "Yeah, that's what I want to do."

Well, like I said above, thank goodness Benchmark is having these, hopefully, temporary issues, because after the excitement from reading those neat stories started to wane, I realized that dual batteries, although probably nice to have, weren't really a necessity. For one, I don't even know how to weld . . . and that's one of the greatest advantages to running dual batteries - the ability to power a Ready Welder. As for accessories, I don't play a lot of amplified music when the Jeep is turned off, and I don't plan on installing a refrigerator in Wilbur any time soon, so I really don't have a large power draw requirement that needs to be met.

Good news is I saved the $400 for the dual system w/ isolator, plus another $150 for the extra battery. That turns out to be about the same price as new gears . . . hmmm.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Thought I'd let you guys know that after wringing my hands over whether to order the Benchmark Dual Battery setup and chance delayed shipment, etc., etc., I've decided to just buy one (singular) Die Hard Platinum battery.

Dual batteries seemed like a great idea after I read about some guy who knew this other guy, whose girlfriend's second cousin had an uncle who was in the middle of the Amazon basin when his battery went dead - he had to make a deal with head-hunters to canoe him out, and he barely escaped with his life. Dual batteries would have prevented that near death experience. Then I read about how some guy, with dual batteries, welded two Jeeps together using his Ready Welder when they broke down on some remote trail, helping everyone to return safely home, and I thought - "Yeah, that's what I want to do."

Well, like I said above, thank goodness Benchmark is having these, hopefully, temporary issues, because after the excitement from reading those neat stories started to wane, I realized that dual batteries, although probably nice to have, weren't really a necessity. For one, I don't even know how to weld . . . and that's one of the greatest advantages to running dual batteries - the ability to power a Ready Welder. As for accessories, I don't play a lot of amplified music when the Jeep is turned off, and I don't plan on installing a refrigerator in Wilbur any time soon, so I really don't have a large power draw requirement that needs to be met.

Good news is I saved the $400 for the dual system w/ isolator, plus another $150 for the extra battery. That turns out to be about the same price as new gears . . . hmmm.
:clap :
Old 08-17-2010, 07:41 PM
JK Junkie

Default Roadforce Tire Balance

Never mind, found one.
After reading the below testimonial, I can understand why you were searching for this type of tire/wheel balancing.
Originally Posted by Loadbreak
Ok. So I had them roadforced by a different shop today. Very knowlegable tech/owner. All were out of balance. 1 is junk. It is on the spare now. And I will be getting it replaced by the original shop. One balanced with just a little weight the other three took more but OK. I only had 2 thousand miles on them.

Rides as good as can be expected. (Not as smooth as my Grand Cherokee but pretty good) I still have them at 35 psi but there are no more wobbles, thumps and shimmys. I just hope it lasts.

I am still amazed that as aggressive as these tires look they are fairly quiet..more of a low growl than the high pitch noise of my last set of Mastercrafts.

He did print me out some stuff from the balancer that shows what the tires did on the machine. Pretty Cool. I now have a much better understanding of what a real tire installer goes through. I was there for an hour and a half. He ended up spinning the junk one on the rim 3 times but it would never balance out right or pass the road-force.

So there is my saga. Hope it helps someone.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

ok here is the skinny. I have to go to ATL on friday with a friend and will be returning saturday morning. If I'm home before 1, I'll be there to go riding. If not, catch yall next time
Old 08-18-2010, 03:40 AM
JK Freak

Never mind, found one.
What shop is that?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RokinRubi
Wouldn't have a steering box by chance??
Nope. Sorry, can't help you there.

Getting a pallet some time this afternoon. Hopefully can start putting everything back together again soon ..........

Anthony
Old 08-18-2010, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default and the story continues.....

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Denny would have to answer this one. I have the version just below the "top of the line" MyGig option, and I hardly know how to turn it on, much less load music, etc into it (if no one believes me - ask Denny and Steve).

Probably true Ed, but I believe Robin can accomplish what she needs by merely removing the negative cable, carefully setting it aside, waiting 5 minutes, then re-attaching. If not, we'll have her try removing both cables, and touching them together to reset the ECU.
part 1 : disconnected the black battery cable and put it aside.....waited 15-20 minutes, re-connected the cable and started the jeep, wow it worked, everything seemed to be saved, sat stations, loaded music, even addy book, and the "my files" all three buttons were once again available....damn good job guys....

part 2: backed out of the driveway this morning, started down the road, my compass pointing the wrong direction and the "my files" bottons are once again grayed out and not available damn electrons...

ok, so im going to try the touching the two cables together tonight and see if i can get a "re-set" from that....and if not, im just going to forget about it...well maybe
Old 08-18-2010, 07:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by burbingus
What shop is that?
Nevermind. There's a website that lists all of the road force balancing machine locations nearby. It's GSP9700dotCOM if anyone else is interested.

Micah

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat