Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 08-05-2010, 06:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engines and Transmissions

We're having some nasty issues with our North Alabama JKs lately.

Hope things get sorted out soon, and at minimal cost for you guys.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wilky
I've got to say....you guys are starting to freak me out with all the mechanical issues back home.

I'm a LONG way from home to have a major disaster like two of our brethren just experienced. I'm so paranoid...that I went to the dealer to have my oil changed yesterday and have all fluids checked for issues. When the guy showed me the dipstick and said my oil was almost a quart low when I drove in, I literally felt my heart sink. I have no knocking yet (of any kind), but do get the occassional labor "ping" when the motor is under a load. Other than that, all was good for diffs/trans/etc., let's just hope it stays that way till I'm back home in three+ weeks.
I wish you an uneventful trip home!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got to say....you guys are starting to freak me out with all the mechanical issues back home.

I'm a LONG way from home to have a major disaster like two of our brethren just experienced. I'm so paranoid...that I went to the dealer to have my oil changed yesterday and have all fluids checked for issues. When the guy showed me the dipstick and said my oil was almost a quart low when I drove in, I literally felt my heart sink. I have no knocking yet (of any kind), but do get the occassional labor "ping" when the motor is under a load. Other than that, all was good for diffs/trans/etc., let's just hope it stays that way till I'm back home in three+ weeks.
Wes,
I was running only about half a quart low when my engine took a dive. I check my oil fairly regularly. I can imagine how you felt when the dealer told you that you were a little low on oil ............

I still really don't know what exactly caused my issues. I can remember the oil light coming on for just a second last time we wheeled, but that was going up Rev Limiter. Maybe it got a little starved then? No other real signs or issues I can think of that would have led to this. Who knows.............

Just make sure you say three Hail Mary's and take your Jeep on a trail before heading home. That way, you will be good with the Big Man upstairs, and good with the Jeep gods as well ..............

Anthony
Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

I wonder if alot of these mechanical failures can be attributed to the oil delivery system?

Follow me on this...it's a minivan motor...chrysler probably never designed it (in particular the oil sump, pump, pickup tube, etc.) for inclines/crawling/high-temps. But the dang thing will run 75 mph across country without a hiccup.
I want anthony to pull his motor apart. There seems to be a oiling problem with the #1 rod bearing from what all I have read on it.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=racinfast002;1796368]I want anthony to pull his motor apart. QUOTE]

Taken out of context, I would take offense to that .............

I am in the process of doing just that. I have just got to find out what happened. Stuff like this just bugs the crap outta me until I figure it out.

Side note: To help finance my latest endeavor, I am going to be selling a few things. First up: my Superchips Flashpaq. Returned my Jeep to stock settings, so you shouldn't have any issues using it in yours. I was very happy with the gains it gave my Jeep, and the settings for tire size and such are worth it. First $300 takes it. That's about $50 bucks less than they are new, plus no shipping $. Let me know if you are interested.

If nobody local wants it, I am going to post it in the For Sale Section.

Anthony
Old 08-06-2010, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

I want to get a flashpaq for mine eventually...just can't swing ANY extra expenses right now. Dang women are expensive
Old 08-06-2010, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racinfast002
I want to get a flashpaq for mine eventually...just can't swing ANY extra expenses right now. Dang women are expensive
Yep. Women are expensive, but so are Jeeps.
At least with your Jeep, if you spend lots of money modding it, there is a chance it will probably blow.

Anthony
Old 08-06-2010, 12:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by racinfast002
Quit paying for hookers!

Originally Posted by USAF_GroundRat
Anthony, what was the final verdict with your engine. What exactly is wrong with it? Is there no way to rebuild it?
I am getting that invisible feeling again on this thread. Anthony, I guess you are still figuring out what went wrong but I am assuming a re-build of the current engine is just out of the question?

Last edited by USAF_GroundRat; 08-06-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sixty5vdub
Yep. Women are expensive, but so are Jeeps.
At least with your Jeep, if you spend lots of money modding it, there is a chance it will probably blow.

Anthony
Amen to that!!! Mine blows like nobodys business!
Old 08-06-2010, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Chris,

Sorry I didn't answer your question. Rebuild isn't out of the question. It is one of the options on the table. Just still need to finish tearing down the engine to determine exactly how much damage there is.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat