Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 07-24-2010, 01:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocket City Rock Crawlers

Had the VP for Rocket City Rock Crawlers pull up behind me at Lowes today and extend an invite to their club. I asked him about the perception I had wrt all they are into is custom rock crawlers. he claims this is not true and in fact have a few JKs in the group, as well as families. Might be something to check into.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Check out the carbon wrap this guy put on his Jeep.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...Carbon-3M-wrap
Old 07-24-2010, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08RedRecon
Check out the carbon wrap this guy put on his Jeep.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...Carbon-3M-wrap
Wow that guy did a meticulous job of wrapping his jeep. I wonder what it looks like in person.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

So, I started having the little knock at start up this week, and I am close to my next oil change time, so I picking up a new filter and some oil Wednesday. Last night, on my way home, my engine started knocking like crazy. Knock is consistent with RPM. Luckily, I was almost home, so didn't have to drive far.

So, I changed the oil, in the weak hope that the knocking would go away ............. no dice. So, I am thinking I have either spun a main bearing, or maybe have a rod knocking. Going to tear the oil pan off tomorrow to take a look at the mains. Hoping that is the case (easiest fix). Will probably try the old 'pull one plug wire at a time' routine to see if it is a rod first.

FML

Anthony

Last edited by sixty5vdub; 07-24-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by randy payne
Damn Anthony that suks, if it makes u feel any better mine knocks at startup sometimes, seems like it ir worse when I change oil, its like the stuf they use agrees with the engine better, if someone told me that before I got the JK I would told them they were crazy, how many miles on it? If I can help u in any way just yell, good luck
I am right at 45k miles.

Everything I have read on here is that the knock at start-up is due to the oil filter letting the oil drain out when the Jeep is sitting. Mine did it when I first got it, but stopped after I changed to a NAPA filter. Hasn't done it in close to a year, with several oil changes since. But, there are several posts on here from people that had the same thing as me happen, around the same mileage.

Maybe I will win the lottery, and just get a Hemi thrown into it ...............................

I am off to consume mass quantities of adult beverages, and drown my sorrows.

Anthony
Old 07-24-2010, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sixty5vdub
So, I started having the little knock at start up this week, and I am close to my next oil change time, so I picking up a new filter and some oil Wednesday. Last night, on my way home, my engine started knocking like crazy. Knock is consistent with RPM. Luckily, I was almost home, so didn't have to drive far.

So, I changed the oil, in the weak hope that the knocking would go away ............. no dice. So, I am thinking I have either spun a main bearing, or maybe have a rod knocking. Going to tear the oil pan off tomorrow to take a look at the mains. Hoping that is the case (easiest fix). Will probably try the old 'pull one plug wire at a time' routine to see if it is a rod first.

FML

Anthony
Wow that really blows. Sounds like you know what to look for. I wouldnt have a clue.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Wilky
Steve,
Hate to be the one to break it to you...RECON is a rock crawler now
That's why you got the personal invite. I'm jealous
Dont know about the rock crawler piece. Need a locker in the back. Gotta start saving for the D60 I guess.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

Wow - that's a really nice Scrambler.

And I'll bet the guy with the huge tires doesn't get much use out of his rear view mirror either.

Originally Posted by Denny2565
The Rocket City Rock Crawlers have jeeps and then they have this guy. His back window is pretty much useless now.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 07-25-2010 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-24-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

WOW that Jimmy looks like it has some big ass 35's ............heheheheheheh.........That must be a 54"
Old 07-24-2010, 11:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Dude... that looks bad ass! I want to see that in person.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat