Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 07-09-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08RedRecon
Question for any gear heads:
If I change the gears ONLY, are the only things I need a new ring and pinion and a new differential cover gasket?
Thanks for any insight. Looking to move to 5.13s with the new lift and 37s.
Beefing up the axles will be next.
Yup - what Tony said, "master rebulid kit" as you've got a few miles on your JK. I may go with just an install kit as Wilbur only has 11k miles (almost).
Old 07-09-2010, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Looks good.

You running an adjustable rear track bar Tony?
Nope, have the stocker on there with the Teraflex axle side HD track bar bracket.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Denny2565
The Viper girls are at the jeep dealership washing cars today.
Daisy Duke's and bikini tops...allllriiiight
THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Junkie

Thumbs up Landers McLarty Jeep Rocks!!

Took Wilbur in for his last opportunity to have warranty work performed (my three years ran out, not mileage). I handed over the Technical Service Bulletins I wanted addressed to the Landers McLarty folks, and they took care of the rest - no hassles, no troubles, no cost.

Had TSB 23-010-09 Wind Sound at Header performed, and now have a nice steel Seal Header Plate instead of the plastic one (which can warp) that came in the 07-08's.

Additionally had the TSB 08-023-07 long crank time issue addressed. Dealship replaced camshaft sensor and it's amazing as the Jeep starts immediately now with just a little twist of the key - before I had to hold the key and crank, crank, crank. Let go, then crank, crank, crank. Let go again, then crank, crank, crank. Usually would finally start on the third round of cranking.

All is good now.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Have the dreaded death wobble. Been trying to read up on it but is rather confusing.
Hear alot about 6 degree castor and setting pinion angle at 4" lift.
Denny - How did you dial yours in?
Any other thoughts guys?
Im learning, but this issue is stumping me.
Thanks
Old 07-10-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Junkie

Have the dreaded death wobble. Been trying to read up on it but is rather confusing.
Hear alot about 6 degree castor and setting pinion angle at 4" lift.
Denny - How did you dial yours in?
Any other thoughts guys?
Im learning, but this issue is stumping me.
Thanks
Steve - the biggest issue is usually alignment (i.e., castor), but other things can contribute. One of the biggest non-alignment contributors is the front track bar not being torqued to 125 ft/lbs, or bad bushings in the track bar, or wallowed out mounting holes in the track bar brackets that allow movement in the track bar, or the track bar jam nut being loose allowing the threads to "slip" (the latter is not real common, but I've seen it discussed).

So go over the track bar install closely, then start re-checking the torque values on all the control arms. By the way, remember to not torque the control arms and track bar until all four wheels are sitting on the ground as doing so prior can pre-load those components, theoretically causing wobble issues. It also doesn't hurt to rock your JK back and forth after adjustments, and prior to torquing, to help everything "re-center".

Additionally, you could take Recon to an alignment shop like NTB and let them run a free 5-10 minute alignment on him (at least you'd know how far off things were before you tweak the castor setting). That's all I can think of at the moment. Let us know how it works out.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 07-10-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Steve - the biggest issue is usually alignment (i.e., castor), but other things can contribute. One of the biggest non-alignment contributors is the front track bar not being torqued to 125 ft/lbs, or bad bushings in the track bar, or wallowed out mounting holes in the track bar brackets that allow movement in the track bar, or the track bar jam nut being loose allowing the threads to "slip" (the latter is not real common, but I've seen it discussed).

So go over the track bar install closely, then start re-checking the torque values on all the control arms. By the way, remember to not torque the control arms and track bar until all four wheels are sitting on the ground as doing so prior can pre-load those components, theoretically causing wobble issues. It also doesn't hurt to rock your JK back and forth after adjustments, and prior to torquing, to help everything "re-center".

Additionally, you could take Recon to an alignment shop like NTB and let them run a free 5-10 minute alignment on him (at least you'd know how far off things were before you tweak the castor setting). That's all I can think of at the moment. Let us know how it works out.
Shes been to NTB, thats where she got her initial alignment. Have also seen the trackbar piece discussed so Ill check it out.
thanks
Old 07-10-2010, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Death wobble fixed.
I left out the spacers that went on the bolt and held the joint in place on the trackbar.
Not an experience I want to go through again.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Status Update

Here is where I am at so far. Fenders and body armor for other side remain:

Last edited by 08RedRecon; 07-12-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is where I am at so far. Fenders and bofy armor for other side remain:

Your rig is looking awesome! Can't wait to see it in person!!

Anthony

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat