Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 07-08-2010, 09:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tboginski
look who's back from the dead......when r we gonna ride???
HOLY SHIT MAN!!! Welcome back!!
Old 07-08-2010, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redrockjeepr
Ok guys need some HELP! I just bought the Rugged Ridge mirror relocation brackets. How the heck do I get the Factory mirrors in the brackets? They won't budge!
Leave everything bolted up to the Jeep. Loosen the bolt from the bottom of the mirror, but leave it in by just a couple of threads. Take a hammer and a socket extension (might just need the hammer, I can't realy remember), put the extension up against the head of the bolt, and hit up on the extension a few good times. Once the mirror starts to move up out of the bracket, you should be able to remove the bolt and take it out by hand.

Might apply some WD40 or maybe even some water, to help it slide out.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Don't even bother messing with the pass side mirror. You won't be able to see squat outta it if you relocate it, except for when the door is off. I just relocated the drivers side one. Looking at the Jeep, you can't really even notice they are mounted differently, unless you look really close.

Anthony

Last edited by sixty5vdub; 07-08-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by highoctane
I'm free anytime pretty much. Just let me know when.

My Offroad Evolution Rockstar skids came in today. Anyone have a sawz-all that wants to help or let me borrow to install them?
I have a cheapo cordless one that would probly work, if nobody else has a better one.

Anthony
Old 07-08-2010, 02:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sixty5vdub
I have a cheapo cordless one that would probly work, if nobody else has a better one.

Anthony

Found out my Dad has a craftsman recip saw in the garage. Hopefully cutting everything and grinding tomorrow so I can install everything.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by highoctane
I'm free anytime pretty much. Just let me know when.

My Offroad Evolution Rockstar skids came in today. Anyone have a sawz-all that wants to help or let me borrow to install them? I def hope to have them on before the next trip to Mountainside(17th?). I borrowed a angle grinder from Denny and still need to pull my diff covers and grind them for clearance for the e-lockers to properly disengage so I can use my front locker and tackle some harder trails we saw last time at Mountainside. Rear Crown 6" brake lines should be here tomorrow.

Got my rear brakes replaced today as well. Developed a loud, annoying squeek from the left rear tire on Sunday. Pluuled the wheel and rotor off today and the inner pad is worn down proabaly 40% more than the outer, but both were low, with only 30k miles. ANyway autozone duralast gold pads, lifetime warranty, $44. Plus my parking brake is tight again sinec I adjusted the pads while the rotor was off.
I hate to possibly give you bad news but when we road last I had the same thing with the rear brakes squeaking. I found out it was a bent driver side axle shaft.
So needless to say big brown will be bringing me a set of superiors.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeepoholic
I hate to possibly give you bad news but when we road last I had the same thing with the rear brakes squeaking. I found out it was a bent driver side axle shaft. So needless to say big brown will be bringing me a set of superiors.
Jayson, I think you and Wes are the only ones in the country to have experienced this particular failure (at least based on the responses within the below thread). I'm still seriously considering a pre-emptive purchase for front and rear, but would like to do gears concurrently.

See ---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=1#post1754529
Old 07-08-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Jayson, I think you and Wes are the only ones in the country to have experienced this particular failure (at least based on the responses within the below thread). I'm still seriously considering a pre-emptive purchase for front and rear, but would like to do gears concurrently.

See ---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=1#post1754529
When you go to purchase gears/axle shafts check out 4x4groupbuy.com . I bought my superior chromoly 30 spline for $420. Everyone else wanted over $530. This place is cheaper then anyone else on just about everything.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't think I'm hard on my jeep because I would like to drive home after every trip. I think all it just takes is the right angle when you have to give just a little gas to bump over a rock to bend the shaft in the rear.
So my opinion is you will have an issue with the rear before you will the front. Because I don't about you but I always ez my front end up on the rock. I will never try to force or get speed up to ram my front end on a rock.
That or Wes and I just have plan bad luck. Axle and a steering box in one trip. Can I drive your jeep next time JK-Rubi?

Last edited by jeepoholic; 07-08-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:38 PM
JK Junkie

I don't think I'm hard on my jeep because I would like to drive home after every trip. I think all it just takes is the right angle when you have to give just a little gas to bump over a rock to bend the shaft in the rear.
So my opinion is you will have an issue with the rear before you will the front. Because I don't about you but I always ez my front end up on the rock. I will never try to force or get speed up to ram my front end on a rock.
Sometimes the internet doesn't convey thoughts/intents well, but in that other thread, I didn't mean to make it sound like you're harsh to your Jeep (I've watched Skinny Pedal in action testing "Jeep Tough", and none of us is even close to being in that league ). Merely meant that you were going places a bit rougher than where I've seen Wes with Rubi-Gene.

I agree with you totally Jayson re the rear axles, which is why I was surprised by some (most?) of the comments in that other thread. Also is why I posted the link here as I thought you guys might possibly be interested in reading a different take on axle shafts. Haven't performed a search on rear axles bent/broken, etc but would be interesting to see if they are the more common failure within that category. Actually, when I think about it for a minute, I wouldn't be surprised to see the failure rate about even between front and rear - could be surprised though.

Edit: Just had a quick thought - wonder if axle shafts are like brake pads. Logic says the fronts will wear out first, but almost everyone has had rapid wearing of the rear pads. Go figure.

Can I drive your jeep next time JK-Rubi?
I checked with Wilbur and he said . . . . Maybe after he gets armored up a bit, I'll ask again.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 07-08-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Junkie

When you go to purchase gears/axle shafts check out 4x4groupbuy.com . I bought my superior chromoly 30 spline for $420. Everyone else wanted over $530. This place is cheaper then anyone else on just about everything.
Thanks for the tip - will keep that in mind for the next big purchase.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat