Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad you can't make the 2 door cover work on a 4door. I'd wish I could have so it all would have sealed up better, but oh well

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ster-2dr-black
Old 06-23-2010, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sixty5vdub
Yeah, sorry bout that!

Tony, as far as someplace local for gear install, I would guess Rocket City Off Road on Jordan, as Gary suggested, or Gilbert's on the other side of Athens. I have only had a couple of experiences with RCOR, and they were ok. Nothing special. Gilbert's was great to work with, but I only purchased parts from them. So can't really comment on their workmanship.

Anthony
I'll have to give them a call. They did the welding to reinforce my teraflex rear frame side LA control arm bracket. Guy seemed a bit cocky when I talked about my plans for a JK but he did good work and I got what I'd call a good deal for welding work, and it turned out great. Looks strong as hell. Ill swing by there and see what he charges.

Originally Posted by jeepoholic
I had a set of thornbirds on an old jeep of mine and hated them and yes they suck in rain. I had mine for two weeks hydro planned and rear ended two guys (go figure).
Save your money and spend a little more for a better tire. But thats my opinion, do what you feel is the best deal for you.
That's been my experience. I borrowed a buddy's LJ that had a set of 33" thornbirds. They hydroplaned like crazy and would slide when braking a bit harder than normal to stop at a red light. When he came with us to wheel they easily turned to mud hocky pucks and would not self clean at all with wheel speed. Never saw them in use on rocks but they sucked in mud, sand, and rain.

Last edited by highoctane; 06-23-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Wilky
I know they're loud and obnoxious...but isn't that stupid cheap for them???
Going back to your price question, that sounds a bit expensive to me unless they come mounted on something. May be the difference between buying tires for 16" wheels vs the more expensive 17" wheel size.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:15 PM
JK Junkie

Default Re-Gearing

Originally Posted by highoctane
Guy seemed a bit cocky when I talked about my plans for a JK . . .
Tony, that's been the experience of several here, but he mounted my wheels/tires for a fair price.

I'll swing by there and see what he charges.
Please let us know how this turns out as I'm very interested sort of, maybe, possibly, am definitely thinking about new gears myself. If they're fair with the costs, they might have 4 - 5 JKs in there pretty quick.

What gearing you going with? The forum "consensus" is 4.88 for 6speeds, and 5.38s for autos. I want 4.56s for Wilbur which would bring him back to a little stronger than stock, and help prevent the occasional stalling that occurs when crawling steep stuff.

A number of the GA guys have re-geared, but I've lost track of who exactly.

YI'm getting 37s and then regearing to 5.13 with my 6-speed.
Edit: Just found this in a re-gearing thread so I guess that answers that question. 5.13s - whew!

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 06-23-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Tony, that's been the experience of several here, but he mounted my wheels/tires for a fair price.

Please let us know how this turns out as I'm very interested sort of, maybe, possibly, am definitely thinking about new gears myself. If they're fair with the costs, they might have 4 - 5 JKs in there pretty quick.

What gearing you going with? The forum "consensus" is 4.88 for 6speeds, and 5.38s for autos. I want 4.56s for Wilbur which would bring him back to a little stronger than stock, and help prevent the occasional stalling that occurs when crawling steep stuff.

A number of the GA guys have re-geared, but I've lost track of who exactly.
Yeah I'm very happy with the what he charged me
Formthe welding. Gonna swing by his shop tomorrow and I'll def post up my findings. Looking at going with 4.88 gears. I plan on 37s in the future but 37s and 4.88s should be pretty good with all the highway driving I do, and still crawl good.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:27 PM
JK Junkie

What?!? You've stalled out a couple of times??? Nah!!
I tend toward the opposite of the gas pedal hammer move.

Given that, maybe 4.88s would be better for me since I don't typically drive on the interstate for miles. Still don't like the idea of cruising at 3000 rpms - on our latest trip to Gadsden, I was running about 2400 rpm when doing 65-70 mph.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:30 PM
JK Junkie

Yeah I'm very happy with the what he charged me
Formthe welding. Gonna swing by his shop tomorrow and I'll def post up my findings. Looking at going with 4.88 gears. I plan on 37s in the future but 37s and 4.88s should be pretty good with all the highway driving I do, and still crawl good.
That's what I'm flip-flopping about. If I stick with my baby 35s, then 4.56. If I go to baby 37s, then 4.88.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
That's what I'm flip-flopping about. If I stick with my baby 35s, then 4.56. If I go to baby 37s, then 4.88.
just go ahead and go 40's
Old 06-23-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

yeah...and sell me your 35s cheap
i need 35's
Old 06-24-2010, 03:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Well I got bored last night and trimmed my front fenders. Still trying to figure out how I want to do the rear. I'll get some pics up today. Took awhile, prob 4 hours for the front. But I'm meticulous and measured eveything twice and cut once. Love how it turned out. I could easily clear 37s now with no rubbing. Might take out my bump stops and see if I can get some more uptravel w/o over compressing the springs.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat