Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 11-05-2008, 04:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and Tellico

Originally Posted by bama JK
If I had my new tires, I'd be going with you. But from the pix I'v seen it looks a little much for my stockers.
Saw some pics on another forum of some guys running street, or very tame all-terrains on TJs and they were able to ride 7 hours of trail in Tellico. I do understand your caution however, as I'm not going up there if it's been raining Friday night. Wet trails make a huge difference regardless of what kind of tires you run.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 11-05-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Ok, finally back from the north country! had to go out of town for the last week...and unfortunately it was for work! blah!!

Did I miss anything at the last meeting?
Old 11-07-2008, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Default Red08JK

Red.. did I see you dropping your kid at Liberty Friday morning during the rain? I live right in front of Libery and was doing the same for my boy. I saw the Red JK with "JK" logo on the side. Assumed it was one of you guys on here.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

mY LIFT GOES ON NEXT WEEK GUYS..
Old 11-09-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tboginski
mY LIFT GOES ON NEXT WEEK GUYS..
Sounds good - be sure to post pics. And don't forget to take measurements before and after.

Also, will it be ready Tuesday (Veterans Day)? Thinking about going up to Skyline for a few hours in the afternoon. That'd give you a chance for instant feedback on some local trails.

I'll post more detail on the Tuesday ride later - after I recover from my Tellico ride. Long day yesterday, but I had a blast. I will definitely be going back up there.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 11-09-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Sounds good - be sure to post pics. And don't forget to take measurements before and after.

Also, will it be ready Tuesday (Veterans Day)? Thinking about going up to Skyline for a few hours in the afternoon. That'd give you a chance for instant feedback on some local trails.
I'M IN THE CAR BUSINESS....I'LL BE WORKING
Old 11-09-2008, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

I'll post more detail on the Tuesday ride later - after I recover from my Tellico ride. Long day yesterday, but I had a blast. I will definitely be going back up there.

Wished I was in town Tuesday.. I would love to find the skyline trails myself. I'm gonna make one of these rides.. someday.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 PM
JK Junkie

Default Tellico Ride

As I mentioned upstream, I went to Tellico Saturday, and had an absolute blast. We were at the trailhead a little after 10 AM, and didn't get back to the same spot till 7 PM. The trails were awesome, the night riding fantastic (a first for me), and the GA guys were great to ride with.

On the below map, I've noted our route with colored arrows:
Darker Blue - Starting from bottom of Map, up Trail 4, lunch at Fain's Ford, then on up to Trail 6 which we used to descend to Trail 1, then up Trail 5 to the Trail 4 intersection and . . .

Light Blue - on Trail 4 again then left onto Trail 3, right onto Trail 11 where I protested (read whined and sniveled ) about the reputed difficulty. We went anyway till we had to stop and turn around (we decided it was doable with lockers and winches, but we were running out of time). Back to Trail 3 and right to the Trail 3 terminus (long story, but some ATV guys fibbed to us about where it went). Now dark, we turned around . . .

Orange - headed back down Trail 3, then left on Trail 4 and back out of the park.
We ended up traveling on all three Difficulty Levels - easy, moderate, and extreme. The later two levels seemed relatively easy much of the time, and only had small sections which caused them to have higher ratings (Trail 12 looked like an animal from the very get go - we spent a few moments watching a heavily modified truck/buggy thrashing itself on the lower portions).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tellico Ride  8Nov08.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	15407

Below are a few pics from the trail I posted in the Tellico thread. I'll post more here later.

Heading up Trail 4:

Wooden bridges spanned many of the Streams:

Our Leader: 08{GA}Rubicon playing on some rocks. You typically could easily slip around more technical stuff like this when you didn't feel like messing with it.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BullDawg
Wished I was in town Tuesday.. I would love to find the skyline trails myself. I'm gonna make one of these rides.. someday.

we have to stop being punks and get out to do some riding..no more excuses.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

As I mentioned upstream, I went to Tellico Saturday, and had an absolute blast. We were at the trailhead a little after 10 AM, and didn't get back to the same spot till 7 PM. The trails were awesome, the night riding fantastic (a first for me), and the GA guys were great to ride with.

On the below map, I've noted our route with colored arrows:
Darker Blue - Starting from bottom of Map, up Trail 4, lunch at Fain's Ford, then on up to Trail 6 which we used to descend to Trail 1, then up Trail 5 to the Trail 4 intersection and . . .

Light Blue - on Trail 4 again then left onto Trail 3, right onto Trail 11 where I protested (read whined and sniveled ) about the reputed difficulty. We went anyway till we had to stop and turn around (we decided it was doable with lockers and winches, but we were running out of time). Back to Trail 3 and right to the Trail 3 terminus (long story, but some ATV guys fibbed to us about where it went). Now dark, we turned around . . .

Orange - headed back down Trail 3, then left on Trail 4 and back out of the park.
We ended up traveling on all three Difficulty Levels - easy, moderate, and extreme. The later two levels seemed relatively easy much of the time, and only had small sections which caused them to have higher ratings (Trail 12 looked like an animal from the very get go - we spent a few moments watching a heavily modified truck/buggy thrashing itself on the lower portions).

Nice.. I did those same trails in my 98 TJ a few years back. I agree for the most part you can really enjoy the trails and not get in too much trouble. Only problem was if you ever did find trouble, it got bad fast even if only for a short section. They may have made go arounds now but back then some of the really bad stuff didn't have any short cuts so you really had to watch the trail rating. I had a 3" Rusty's lift, 32" BFG AT's, winch and pretty much stock other than that on the TJ.. didn't have much problems. But I didn't push the 6 ft drop offs, boulders, and really bad stuff either. Really a fun place to ride. Some cabins you can rent just out the south gate for a good weekend away.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat