Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 04-23-2010, 04:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dstack701
I LOVE that picture. I am not so much exhausted from the drive as I am sad that I am NOT still out there. It was truly the most amazing adventure I have ever experienced. Not just Moab and its trails but the sceneray was spectacular. As you can see Gary, I took many pictures.....although they do no justice. It was great meeting some more forum members from all over.

Well now I'm itching to get back on the Southern trails out here again. Being that as of Wednesday I'm a college graduate I have some free time on my hands.....due to lack of REAL job . Anyone know of anyone hiring?

I would love to get back out to Bama as I think I've exhausted the GA trails. Anyone been to Gray Rock OHV?
Hopefully you guys are still interested in heading back to Moab later this year, as it does look like a great time was had by all. Any lessons learned to share?

Gray Rock is seriously tough from what I've heard lately. There are posts in this thread up stream in that regard.

Job - if your degree is in Software, Math, Physics, or Engineering, come on over as there are plenty of opportunities here. Otherwise not sure, but the area is growing.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Hopefully you guys are still interested in heading back to Moab later this year, as it does look like a great time was had by all. Any lessons learned to share?

Gray Rock is seriously tough from what I've heard lately. There are posts in this thread up stream in that regard.

Job - if your degree is in Software, Math, Physics, or Engineering, come on over as there are plenty of opportunities here. Otherwise not sure, but the area is growing.
I would kill to head back. As for advice...take the northern route out to Moab if you can as driving through OK and north TX is hell. Kansas sux too but Colorado makes it all worth it. As for the trails out in Moab....throttle control is absolutly key out there. I mean it is important anywhere offroad but espspecially out there. Also be sure you pick a good line when going over the slickrock, otherwise you may slide off a 500 foot cliff.....that could ruin a trip fast.

My degree is the opposite of all that....Public Management and Policy concentration in Economic Development.

Originally Posted by Wilky
Another picture I like (Although I did not take this one) Going up Hell's Gate when everyone told me not to...
Dude....that's a sweet picture and is one of the few that I've seen that gives a great perspective on exactly how steep Hells Gate is (thanks to the audience down below!)[/QUOTE]

My spotter was AWEOSME. that is really the only way anyone can do Hell's Gate as all you can see is sky.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone know of a good radiator shop in Madison? My girl's Caddy has decided to develop a crack in one of the POS plastic end caps. Only place I really know of is Russell Radiator in HSV. Not to far to get it there, but was thinking I might "Shop Madison First".

Anthony
Old 04-23-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Freak

Gary's not 100% correct...your concentration is actually vital to the Madison County Chamber of Commerce and the Huntsville City Council. They've discussed the importance of a solid strategic plan for economic development numerous times with my Young Professional organization here in Huntsville. Check us out:
http://www.gethyp.net/
If you want me to, I'll throw some feelers out there and see what kind of jobs are floating around.
p.s. There's money to be made in this town...I would seriously consider a relocation if you are able to.
My major is vital to every city or community that has an organized governing body. As for moving...I'm game for anywhere in the US of A. The closer to Moab the better though Let me know if you hear of anything that may come up...Thanks

So when are we all going to hit the trails again....I'm getting anxious.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:49 PM
JK Junkie

Default Jobs

Gary's not 100% correct...your concentration is actually vital to the Madison County Chamber of Commerce and the Huntsville City Council.
Hey, I'm getting a bad rap on this. I basically said if you have a technical degree, there's probably something here for ya . . . otherwise not sure, but the area is growing. You make it sound like I said, "If you're not technical, you're not vital, so go take a hike."

And by the way, I cranked out the numbers, and I was 96.834% correct - not bad.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:59 PM
JK Junkie

So when are we all going to hit the trails again....I'm getting anxious.
I wanted to go UP that Level 4+ trail over in Skyline today prior to the rain, and before the WMA closes for the summer at the end of this month, but no takers. Mountainside may be next trip, but not sure.

I've got a couple of local spots I intend to scout now that deer season is over, but will probably do so "a cappella".
Old 04-23-2010, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

Cool

My spotter was AWESOME. that is really the only way anyone can do Hell's Gate as all you can see is sky.
On a tough trail, the spotter is definitely one of the most critical elements to success.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

Dude....that's a sweet picture and is one of the few that I've seen that gives a great perspective on exactly how steep Hells Gate is (thanks to the audience down below!)
I have to agree. I've seen plenty of videos of jeeps going up Hells Gate, but they don't do justice as to how steep it really is.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Gary, I have been extremely busy, not tired from the drive, I would say that Moab was great, different but great. Like Dstack said, throttle control was everything. Rocks were like grip tape, not slick at all, just steep. I think I there is a guy on the forum that took video of me coming up Hells Gate, when he sends it to me I will post it. Can't wait until the next trip out there. I will have my album of photos up soon, I had a small problem with a memory card. I think I have fixed it though. A couple of my favorites from the pics that were taken by others:

Let us know when teh net trip to the trails is scheduled.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Denny2565
By the way, I may have a slightly used lift kit for sale in a few weeks...
I might know somebody that might be interested when you do.. Let me know.. I'm looking for a few more inches now.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat