Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 01-29-2010, 10:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy the ride guys, and BE SAFE!!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:40 AM
JK Junkie

Default Skyline Ride

Just talked to Corey - GA guys are already in Scottsboro. They are going to pull over, eat breakfast, and basically wait for us.

Let's try to be ready to leave McD's at 0930.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

On my way to McDonalds
Old 01-31-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Junkie

Default Skyline

Some shots from the latest trip to Skyline.

Airing down in the chill. While my Staun deflators are doing their job, I'm taking pics.

Hoping the wood stays dry. We drove directly (although somewhat circuitously) to the campground area so we could unload wood, and other miscellaneous cargo.

This guy was alone with his family (wife and two little ones). Had busted his rear drive shaft, in addition to being stuck. We were able to pull him out, and watch him beat a hasty retreat back out of the WMA (He hadn't even gone a tenth of a mile). Said he'd only been sitting there 10-15 minutes. I wish I could have captured a shot of his little 3 year old boy's face - grin went from ear to ear as Chris was winching them out. Lil' guy thought it was GREAT!!

Lining up while waiting for everyone to catch up for the next turn. That Redrock Sahara three or four JKs back did a fantastic job staying up with everyone - good job Justin!!

Waiting while others negotiate a steep climb where some winching was required.

End of the ride photo opportunity. We had to hack our way out up on top as dozens of young pines, coated with ice, were buckled over and blocking the trail. Mike, the axeman, did an outstanding job clearing the way.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 01-31-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Junkie

Default Skyline Creek Crossings

What this creek typically looks like (taken January of last year).

Here's me posing in the middle. Even drove up and down the creek bed a little - fun stuff.

What it was like on this ride . . . almost 3 feet in height, and moving fast. Others will (hopefully) post pics of folks crossing. My little 2DR got shoved around pretty good.

Note the watermark on the side of the jeep where the creek "cleaned" off the mud. Checked my carpets, but haven't found any indication of moisture entering the interior during the crossing.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

i had a ball, what an excellent ride. Jeep now has new character marks, but meh, that was expected. I just cant wait to get some rock sliders now that I got my side steps sold
Old 01-31-2010, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Had a great time! Thanks to Gary for leading the way!
Old 01-31-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

nope, I only rode saturday, and I think Gary did as well
Old 01-31-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by racinfast002
nope, I only rode Saturday, and I think Gary did as well.
Correct, Saturday only.

One thing we did that I want to make a habit of is to eat at the Western Sizzlin in Scottsboro after the ride. They had an all-you-could-eat buffet, with steak included, for only $8.99 - and the food was great (I know this opens the door, but restraint please Justin ).

Switching subjects, favorite pic from the ride so far - thank goodness that Sahara had a little bit of lift installed. I like the way Justin washed the hood off by charging into the creek initially, and letting the water flow across the top.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Correct, Saturday only.

One thing we did that I want to make a habit of is to eat at the Western Sizzlin in Scottsboro after the ride. They had an all-you-could-eat buffet, with steak included, for only $8.99 - and the food was great (I know this opens the door, but restraint please Justin ).

Switching subjects, favorite pic from the ride so far - thank goodness that Sahara had a little bit of lift installed. I like the way Justin washed the hood off by charging into the creek initially, and letting the water flow across the top.

first off, I'd just like to say that I too would love to return to western sizzlin. but not because of the food LOL. We'll leave it at that.

Secondly, I didn't realize I was that close to totally ruining a motor. And I didn't charge in nearly as hard as Bama JKX did.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat