Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 01-10-2010, 08:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Not a problem - you're welcome over at my place anytime, I'll send the GPS coordinates so you can find it easily, plus the street is somewhat famous because of the movie they made about some neighbors. Here's the address: 4352 Elm Street. When you get close, just look for the signs in the yard - park anywhere around the house you'd like, and just come on in (you guys are like family so don't worry about knocking). Oh, and if I forget to unlock the door, just go out to the blue truck out front - I have a key to the front door hidden under the dash. Dig around till you find it, and then use it to let yourselves inside.

I'll chain my Pitt Bulls, Cujo and Fang (hopefully the chain will hold this time) as they get a little skittish around strangers. If the chain does break, don't run like that Sheriff's Deputy did (don't worry he's walking fine on his new prosthetic legs), just stand real still, and sing "Sweet Home Alabama" - that seems to calm them down a little, at least that's what some Repo guy told me a while back (He never told me that personally, but it was in the deposition that he gave from his hospital bed).

My neighbor recently found a bunch of fresh possum - let me have a few that had already begun to nicely age. I've got those in the freezer, so there will be plenty to eat when you guys arrive.

The more that show up, the more money in my pocket (hopefully you guys won't mind if I claim you as family dependents - it's that time of the year when the Welfare folks come check my status).

Hey Gary, can I have the red gas can?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

anyone up for lunch on wednesday?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Junkie

Default Gray Rock

Rats, don't think I'll be going there anytime soon.

Originally Posted by roketman

I was there [Gray Rock] Saturday. It's changed a lot since I rode it last. The mining is slowly killing everything but the most hardcore trails. Did you go to the "Canyon". The mud on the trail was the slickest that I've seen there. I would hate to have climbed those hilly roads if it had rained. I had a good time but I can't take mud that takes $20 to find your Jeep again. I put some major scrapes down both sides trying to climb one of the really steep hills. Figured out later that I had it in 4hi. I knew that I should have made it. Gray Rock has turned into a club that you need a V8, 2-1/2 ton axles and 44" to really have fun. Of course that being said, I'll be back in March for the next ride.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
Hey Gary, can I have the red gas can?
Sure, just don't try any of that klepto stuff around my place.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by randy payne
probally wait till mid march, im trying to pick sum 35s to make it a good combo, i want something that will last for a while on pavement but work off road pretty good , what yall like in the tire department?
I've been very happy with the KM2, however....BFGs run small (35 will actually be a 34.1-ish).
I absolutely dig Denny's new tires, they make dirt/mud their punk but can't comment on their pavement prowess.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Wilky
I've been very happy with the KM2, however....BFGs run small (35 will actually be a 34.1-ish).
I absolutely dig Denny's new tires, they make dirt/mud their punk but can't comment on their pavement prowess.
Well they're not the prettiest tire to look at, but they've been great. They run really smooth and have a nice hum on the highway. They're also siped and have that AT looking strip down the middle which helps out on the road. Before I bought them, I called up Goodyear and their rep told me that with proper rotation, the tires should last 40-50 thousand miles. They cost a little more, but if I can get that kind of mileage out of them, it'll be worth it.

Last edited by Denny2565; 01-12-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Well they're not the prettiest tire to look at, but they've been great. They run really smooth and have a nice hum on the highway. They're also siped and have that AT looking strip down the middle which helps out on the road. Before I bought them, I called up Goodyear and their rep told me that with proper rotation, the tires should last 40-50 thousand miles. They cost a little more, but if I can get that kind of mileage out of them, it'll be worth it.

I'll believe that when I see it. Unless that rubber compound is harder than the rocks you wheel your JK on, there is NO way your going to get that kind of mileage. I don't car if you rotate the tires every day.

edit:that being said, they do look very nice and appear as though they would do great offroad. I just need a tire that I know I can get mileage out of. I've already put 12k on my JK since the first of May
Old 01-13-2010, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any rides this weekend?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

The duelers are not a real bad tire if you need a A/T tire. Or do as I did and get a set of the Rubicon stockers .
Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MLK Ride

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Posted this in The South section thread that Corey began in order to announce a trail ride at Skyline end of this month (Jan 30-31).

Yup, I want to check on a couple trails from last season. It is rumored that WMA "Authorities" clean up (read grade) some of the main trails to smooth them back out for the masses, and also clear trails of fallen trees. I saw evidence of the former last year, but am curious about the latter - there were a couple of fallen trees that I hope they've removed.

[COLOR="LemonChiffon"]Am tentatively planning a recon ride Jan 18th for those celebrating the holiday.[/COLOR] Would also like to check out the "Blue Arrow Trail" (coming in from the other side) over at Muskrat Cove.

Plan is to just check a few locations along the trail system for conditions (i.e., cleared trees). Still should be about 5-6 hours of wheeling including travel time.

I'm in for the 18th. I've been so busy working and travelling that I haven't been able to get on here lately. Things appear to be slowing down for a short while.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat