Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 12-05-2009, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Well for me, watched the game, did some Christmas shopping, garage door opener died - had to replace it and replaced all the brake pads on my jeep. By the way, a bar clamp does a good job of compressing the caliper.

Denny
Hpw many miles you have on it already?
Old 12-05-2009, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Roll Tide baby, man I hope they keep it up in this game and beat Florida. I am sick of Tebo.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

anyone have the kicker replacement sounbar speakers (from quadratec)? I want some first hand feedback before dropping 100 bucks.

p.s. Tim Tebow is a punk.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

no experience, but i'd love to hear yours if you decide to get them
Old 12-06-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

I've got around 43K on it. But according to this thread, that's about all I can expect to get out of the pads anyway.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/whats-going-my-brake-pads-110255/
Dennis,
Did you buy the Hawk pads locally??
My rear pads have burned through AGAIN. Replaced the factory pads @ 25K (not me, the used car dealer and he put crappy ones on) and now I need to put more rear on @ 49K. Crazy, huh? Especially since the front still have some meat on them @ 49K. I really do think ESP has alot to do with it, b/c from Dec '08 - April '09, I was still in the mountains running through snow packed roads and the ESP was constantly working to maintain traction.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:21 PM
JK Junkie

Default Smoky Mountains

Fun trip. Had a great time, but after plodding through the snow Saturday, was glad to get home last night, eat a big meal, shower, and sleep in a warm house.

Friday morning heading up towards the old AT. Temp was comfortably in the upper 40s.

Saturday morning there was about 2-3 inches of snow on the ground, and it was still falling in the twenty degree temps. You can see our packs hanging on the bear lines towards the upper right of the pic. No bears, but a very healthy looking coyote (much bigger than most I've seen down here) keep perusing our camp for some chow. Was leery of us, but didn't seem too afraid - as soon as we'd turn our backs on him, he'd steal into camp, but retreat fairly quickly if we looked at or took a step towards him. After we were settled in our tents, he came sniffing around for scraps, but eventually left when he found none.

Once back down the mountain, snow was already melting (probably 10-15 degree temp difference in 3000 ft), and roads were clear, for which I was very thankful.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Fun trip. Had a great time, but after plodding through the snow Saturday, was glad to get home last night, eat a big meal, shower, and sleep in a warm house.
Glad to see you had a safe/fun trip. I need to roll with you guys sometime. That's one of the things that Colorado taught me...for every 1000ft in elevation, there's 3-5 degrees F in temperature change. Makes you think hard when you need to pack light but adequately.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Junkie

Default Backpacking

Originally Posted by Wilky
Glad to see you had a safe/fun trip. I need to roll with you guys sometime. That's one of the things that Colorado taught me...for every 1000ft in elevation, there's 3-5 degrees F in temperature change. Makes you think hard when you need to pack light but adequately.
We'd love to have you along Wes. This trip was a little warm-up for a couple of the guys crossing the stream in the above pic. They're headed to the Andes for three weeks after Christmas. Once they're back, we'll probably hit the trails again mid to late spring. I'll let you know when we're planning the next trip.

View outside my tent door Saturday morning. Whee!! Look at all the fun snow. Wish we could have had a fire like these guys --->

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 12-06-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

i have used both the hawk and EBC pads on vehicles in the past. You can't go wrong with either. Both make a really nice quality pad.

edit: EBCs probably won't last as long, as they are a bit more aggressive
Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

No, I had to order them. Around here, all I could find was store brand or Wagner. I did a good bit of reading up on different brake pads and it seemed to be EBC if you use your jeep primarily on trails or Hawk if you put a lot of highway miles on it. I paid $124 for front and rear Hawk LTS pads. I ordered from a company out west, but they shipped direct from the mfr.
The new pads definitely have more braking power than factory. The old pads would slow the jeep down when I pressed hard on the brakes. These will lock up the tires momentarily before the ABS kicks in.
Cool, thanks for the input...from you too Justin.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat