Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 08-15-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant wait to go for a ride!!!! YJ is almost done
Old 08-15-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Junkie

Default Mountainside Pics

Another great trip!! Here are a few pics - was able to do some stuff today that I wouldn't have dreamed about a few months ago.

Dang - pictures never seem to give the proper perspective. This was steep!!

These wildflowers were all over the place.

How to high-center a 2Dr Rubi - this takes real talent.

Darted up to the overlook again as the gate was open for some reason.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:28 PM
JK Newbie

I didn't get your response till late today...if I had your number/email to add to the spreadsheet I could have called you and went with today (hint, hint, hint).

I'll be out of town next weekend, but we need to take a 'Rubicon' trip to Mountainside and see what those trails are really made of.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Another great trip!! Here are a few pics - was able to do some stuff today that I wouldn't have dreamed about a few months ago.

Darted up to the overlook again as the gate was open for some reason.
Someone has been improving their driving skills since I left. Good job
Last one is a great pix. How do you like the hiLift on the front of the Jeep?
Old 08-16-2009, 04:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Wilky
I'll be out of town next weekend, but we need to take a 'Rubicon' trip to Mountainside and see what those trails are really made of.
Windrock on Sept 12th is probably next up for me as my next two weekends are booked.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 08RedRecon
Someone has been improving their driving skills since I left. Good job
Thanks Steve - I've learned a lot in the last few months.

Last one is a great pix. How do you like the hiLift on the front of the Jeep?
Here's what I've said when other forum members have asked me about the Hi-Lift location (basically, I like it a lot):
Been running around with it on the front for about six months now, including several off-road rides. It's really grown on me. Was just playing around for grins by mounting it on the ARB initially, but turns out it's very easy to reach, and (I think) it gives the JK a more off-road look . . . I know I get a ton more stares/looks by other drivers now that it's up there.

My rear bumper is a Shrockworks, and has a solid mounting area across the top of the tire carrier (would mount horizontally), however my CB antenna is also back there so access wouldn't be as free. Plus, it requires swinging open the tire carrier in order for the jack to be reached.

Wouldn't recommend positioning it on the hood, as those Hi-Lifts are heavy (I think around 30 lbs.). One slip and there goes your paint job. I wanted mine in an easily accessed location 'cause the last thing I wanted to deal with was having to execute some sort of skillful gymnastics maneuver just to retrieve it, especially in a time of "crisis".
Old 08-16-2009, 05:18 AM
JK Junkie

Default Filter Follow-up

My mileage was about 1 mpg better on this trip to Mountainside - I'm thinking that cleaning the filter, which was pretty dirty from Dusty Lonesome, had something to do with that.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks Steve - I've learned a lot in the last few months.

Here's what I've said when other forum members have asked me about the Hi-Lift location (basically, I like it a lot):
Been running around with it on the front for about six months now, including several off-road rides. It's really grown on me. Was just playing around for grins by mounting it on the ARB initially, but turns out it's very easy to reach, and (I think) it gives the JK a more off-road look . . . I know I get a ton more stares/looks by other drivers now that it's up there.

My rear bumper is a Shrockworks, and has a solid mounting area across the top of the tire carrier (would mount horizontally), however my CB antenna is also back there so access wouldn't be as free. Plus, it requires swinging open the tire carrier in order for the jack to be reached.

Wouldn't recommend positioning it on the hood, as those Hi-Lifts are heavy (I think around 30 lbs.). One slip and there goes your paint job. I wanted mine in an easily accessed location 'cause the last thing I wanted to deal with was having to execute some sort of skillful gymnastics maneuver just to retrieve it, especially in a time of "crisis".
Have you had to use it yet out on the trail?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Denny2565
While you were out playing in your jeep, I was working on mine. I found out I should have changed my differential oil several thousand miles ago. The front looked ok, but the rear came out looking like motor oil that had 10K miles on it. There was also about an inch of some kind of sludge build-up on the drain plugs too.

wow, that is nasty. How did you get it so darn clean?
Old 08-16-2009, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

Have you had to use it yet out on the trail?
Nope, but the winch sure has come in handy several times.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat