Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 09-24-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08JK
Here it is:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ring+stabilzer

Okay, I have been reading a lot of posts lately regarding steering stabilizers and find all the misinformation regarding them or the need for them to be quite troubling. Here are some of the Myths I've been hearing:

1. A steering stabilizer is needed after installing a new lift and/or bigger tires
2. A steering stabilizer will fix wandering or flighty steering
3. A steering stabilizer will fix death wobble

IF you have your suspension/steering dial in correctly, a steering stabilizer isn't really needed at all. While one might act as a bandaid and help to hide or mask wandering or flighty steering or even help reduce death wobble, IT DOES NOT FIX ANYTHING. Trust me, I have been running a factory steering stabilzer on my JK for over two years now and the last of which was while running 5.5" of lift and 37's. In fact, I have been running without one at all for the last two weeks even at speeds of 80MPH and I can hardly tell that one isn't installed.

A steering stabilizer is NICE to have as it will help absorb bumpsteer. However, it has been my experience that even with a set of heavy 37x13.50's mounted on beadlocks, a factory unit is really all that you need. Will a heavy duty unit help absorb bumpsteer more, sure, but that's about all it will do.

So, why bring all this up you might ask? Because I care about you guys and I just want to make sure that you all address and FIX problems that you might be having as opposed to masking or hiding them.
I know that WOL knows what he's talking about but the key is having the suspension set up just so. So when you don't have the money or the need for new adjustable upper and lower arms it's hard of every thing to be just right. I know that before my lift kit my JK had a little wobble over some train tracks and after the lift some are noticeably worse so I'm thinking that a good steering stabilizer may help on my JK. But thats just my

In5ane, I have no experience with the RC lift but just looking at it, it looks like it would be a good pick. Heck for the money it seems like great deal, and I don't think you can make a bad spacer lift.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bama JK
I know that WOL knows what he's talking about but the key is having the suspension set up just so. So when you don't have the money or the need for new adjustable upper and lower arms it's hard of every thing to be just right. I know that before my lift kit my JK had a little wobble over some train tracks and after the lift some are noticeably worse so I'm thinking that a good steering stabilizer may help on my JK. But thats just my

In5ane, I have no experience with the RC lift but just looking at it, it looks like it would be a good pick. Heck for the money it seems like great deal, and I don't think you can make a bad spacer lift.
Yeah, there are mixed reviews on it...I know that Rough Country will try to sell you their stuff...so take their advice cautiously...right?

However, i was talking with one of the guys from RC, and he was saying that a lift will always loosen your steering a tad and the double steering stabilizer will bring things back to how it was before the lift. I don't have any experience with either yet, so I don't know.

I think most of what WOL was talking about involved not covering up your bad lift installation with a steering stabilizer. If you do, that's very dangerous.....
Old 09-25-2008, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey guys, I just thought I'd let yall know that I wont be posting again till Monday.
The wife and I are flying out in the morning to Walt Disney World to indulge in the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot.

I'll talk to yall later
Old 09-25-2008, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bama JK
Hey guys, I just thought I'd let yall know that I wont be posting again till Monday. The wife and I are flying out in the morning to Walt Disney World to indulge in the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot.
Sounds fun. Let us know how it was when you return.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Junkie

Default More Wrenching

With Denny2565's help, installed the new front JKS adj track bar. Did what it was supposed to do, and aligned front axle almost perfectly by our measurements. While we were under our Jeeps, we noticed why many folks are re-locating the steering stabilizer. Looks very vulnerable in its present configuration.

Also, plan to move the evaporator canister probably using the Woods relocation kit. Just don't want to tear anything up on my Trail Rated JK while traversing some lowly Level 2 trail. That'd be embarrassing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JKS Frt Adj Trk Bar.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	13274
Old 09-25-2008, 06:40 PM
JK Junkie

Default Steel Blue Sahara

How far is Corinth from here?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Already looked, Florence looks to be the halfway point.
Thought you might be perusing, but just wanted to make sure.

I like that guy's bumper. Need to put one of those on my Rubi - I'm guessing about a 15 minute install, plus or take a few minutes.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Also, after my lift but before trackbars, ESP kicked in whenever I went down an exit ramp with a sharp curve. Today, I took the same curve that always gave my ESP fits before and it didn't kick in once.
Yeehaaa!!

Was hoping that'd be the case. Still amazes me that the ESP is so sensitive in the JK.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
With Denny2565's help, installed the new front JKS adj track bar. Did what it was supposed to do, and aligned front axle almost perfectly by our measurements. While we were under our Jeeps, we noticed why many folks are re-locating the steering stabilizer. Looks very vulnerable in its present configuration.

Also, plan to move the evaporator canister probably using the Woods relocation kit. Just don't want to tear anything up on my Trail Rated JK while traversing some lowly Level 2 trail. That'd be embarrassing.

Attachment 13274

Nice...when you gonna test it out???
Old 09-26-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

BTW,

When I get my new tires and wheels in the next few weeks....anyone be interested in my stock tires and wheels...? Or know anyone who might be?

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat