Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 06-27-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the trails sucked, but the fellowship was great. Only three riders, but we managed to make it up a monster hill and no one broke anything. Pics are at the following link...

http://www.dropshots.com/weswilkerson#albums/27 June 09, Cullman, AL

p.s. I'm still spitting dust out...it was WAY too dry out there.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

Default Stoney Lonesome

Originally Posted by Wilky
Well, the trails sucked . . .
x2

. . . and it was hot as blazes.

Originally Posted by Wilky
. . . but the fellowship was great.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default How was Stoney Lonesome?

Sorry I miss out on another Jeep ride... Still doing landscaping around the house.

Feedback on Stoney would be appreciated! If it was awesome or if it sucked tell why.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Junkie

Default Stoney Lonesome

Originally Posted by NOBLING
Sorry I miss out on another Jeep ride... Still doing landscaping around the house.

Feedback on Stoney would be appreciated! If it was awesome or if it sucked tell why.
I've got some pics that I'll post later - very similar to the shots Wesley snapped. Also will say more later, but basically park was a bust.
You couldn't pay me to go back . . . at least not for the next three or four years.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NOBLING

I would say 100% sucked!!

It was dusty as Sh%$, the trails were all less than 1 mile long, even the "EXTREME" rated trails were rather simple (With the exception of some very loose soil like substance), a majority of the trails are only open to ATVs, the trail layout makes absolutely ZERO sense (you have to exit one trail and ride a mile or so to get back to the entrance to the next trail), the trail maps aren't legible, and I'm sure there were several other things that Gary and Wesley can elaborate on.

Overall it was a major bust, but someone had to head down to there to find out. I'm glad we made the trip, but unfortunatly if any of you want to check it out for yourselves I will gladly stay at home and wait for your negative report.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:39 PM
JK Junkie

Default Stoney Lonesome

Originally Posted by jasonclarkusaf
I would say 100% sucked!!

It was dusty as Sh%$, the trails were all less than 1 mile long, even the "EXTREME" rated trails were rather simple (With the exception of some very loose soil like substance), a majority of the trails are only open to ATVs, the trail layout makes absolutely ZERO sense (you have to exit one trail and ride a mile or so to get back to the entrance to the next trail), the trail maps aren't legible, and I'm sure there were several other things that Gary and Wesley can elaborate on.

Overall it was a major bust, but someone had to head down to there to find out. I'm glad we made the trip, but unfortunatly if any of you want to check it out for yourselves I will gladly stay at home and wait for your negative report.
Excellent summary . . . and I'm still peeved that they made us watch a "safety" video made in Montana. Basically, don't pick the flowers, stay on the trails, and hug a grizzly if you see one cause the animals own the world and were here first.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Junkie

Default Stoney Lonesome Ride

Here we are meeting at the Cracker Barrel parking lot.

We've just checked in, signed a ton of paperwork, paid, watched a "safety" video, had little blue bands attached to our wrists, and have just entered Dust Trails of Hell.

The trails winded either through overgrown brambles, or . . .

. . . wide open areas cleared for helicopter landings.

These little map stations were all over the park - didn't try out the callboxes built into each unit.

This hill is actually flat - don't know why Jason and Wesley are reconnoitering the thing on their hands and knees.

By the way, this was one of the extreme trails called, Who's Your Daddy (see sign rightside of pic).

Jason following after Wesley who has just summited another extreme trail called, Gut Buster (probably a level 3+ because of the loosely packed dirt near the top). We climbed some other "extreme" trails that were maybe a level 2.5

Loose soil at the top required a little winching on Jason's part. I got to use the same winch location when I came up last.

Other than that excitement, Stoney Lonesome is a total bust (except now we all know better - or at least we should).

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 06-27-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Even though it sucked, I am sorry I missed out. I will be in town next week (starting on Wed) so maybe I can catch some of you guys for lunch or something.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Junkie

Default Stoney Lonesome

Originally Posted by BullDawg
I thought stoney lonesome was the one just south of cullman. And from what I've heard its not much right now since they just opened. said a lot of the trails at stoney were not cut yet and they close sections down for just horses and such. Had a lot of potential but still a ways from having it really nice.
Unfortunately, your intelligence was spot on Steve.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by USAF_GroundRat
Even though it sucked, I am sorry I missed out. I will be in town next week (starting on Wed) so maybe I can catch some of you guys for lunch or something.
The camaraderie was great, only the park stunk. Lunch sounds good Chris. Give us a holler when you're certain about a time.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat