Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 05-22-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok ............ This is gonna sound like a total noob question. But then again, I am a noob to the JK.
So here goes: I bought a used soft top for my '07 Unlimited. It came with everything I need (I think) except the knuckles to attach the two bows to the brackets on the roll cage. I had my old soft top from my '06 laying around, so I though maybe I could just use the knuckles from that one on the new top. No luck. The knuckles are a good 1/8" to big in diameter to fit inside of the soft top bows. So I am looking online at some replacement knuckles, and they are listed as fitting '97 to '09.

My question: Anybody know if the bow diameter is different for certain year tops? Anybody out there that can take a quick measurement of their bow diameter for me?
I am probably going to go ahead and order a set of replacement knuckles. Just don't want to be surprised when they get here and they are the same size as the ones I already have. Then again, I may just stick the ones I have in a lathe and turn them down to the size I need, since I am not using the old top anymore. We will see......

Anthony

Last edited by sixty5vdub; 05-22-2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Soft Top Question
Old 05-22-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sixty5vdub
Ok ............ This is gonna sound like a total noob question. But then again, I am a noob to the JK.
So here goes: I bought a used soft top for my '07 Unlimited. It came with everything I need (I think) except the knuckles to attach the two bows to the brackets on the roll cage. I had my old soft top from my '06 laying around, so I though maybe I could just use the knuckles from that one on the new top. No luck. The knuckles are a good 1/8" to big in diameter to fit inside of the soft top bows. So I am looking online at some replacement knuckles, and they are listed as fitting '97 to '09.

My question: Anybody know if the bow diameter is different for certain year tops? Anybody out there that can take a quick measurement of their bow diameter for me?
I am probably going to go ahead and order a set of replacement knuckles. Just don't want to be surprised when they get here and they are the same size as the ones I already have. Then again, I may just stick the ones I have in a lathe and turn them down to the size I need, since I am not using the old top anymore. We will see......

Anthony
Where are you at ??I'm heading out around lunch time and I may be able to stop wherever you are so you can take a look at mine if you're not too far away.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am in Huntsville at the corner of 565 and Sparkman. I think I will be going to lunch at Bison's in Madison around 11:00. They got some good wings. MMMmmmmmmm WINGS ....................... Oops. Sorry. ADD kicked in.

Appreciate the offer.

Anthony
Old 05-22-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I am in Huntsville at the corner of 565 and Sparkman. I think I will be going to lunch at Bison's in Madison around 11:00. They got some good wings. MMMmmmmmmm WINGS ....................... Oops. Sorry. ADD kicked in.

Appreciate the offer.

Anthony

I'll be there for lunch too then... Jason you showing up this time?

Where is Bison's? Is that the same as Buffalo's?

Last edited by USAF_GroundRat; 05-22-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Bisons? Where is that?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tboginski
Bisons? Where is that?

Yep. I think it used to be called Buffalo's. Corner of Shelton / Zeirdt and Madison Blvd. In the Publix shopping center.

Anthony
Old 05-22-2009, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

Damn. Too far for me. Catch you guys next time.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Yep. I think it used to be called Buffalo's. Corner of Shelton / Zeirdt and Madison Blvd. In the Publix shopping center.
Anthony
Good wings... nice meeting, yah dude.

This what you are missing, right? (not the plate but the piece that connects the plate to the bar, tube, bow... whatever you call it.

More pictures here:
http://project-jk.com/index.php/?p=32

One other thing I noticed... are your plates mounted wrong?

Here is the diagram, the part you need should be where No. 4 is pointing (although this graphic is of a 2 door which is different):

The part numbers should be: 55397230AC & 55397231AC for the right and left respectively. Now it says bracket under description so you may want to verify with the parts department.

Last edited by USAF_GroundRat; 05-22-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by USAF_GroundRat
Good wings... nice meeting, yah dude.

This what you are missing, right? (not the plate but the piece that connects the plate to the bar, tube, bow... whatever you call it.

More pictures here:
http://project-jk.com/index.php/?p=32

One other thing I noticed... are your plates mounted wrong?
Back at ya. Only wish we coulda had cold beerz with the wings .......... maybe next time.
That's what I need. What the arrows are pointing to. I will have to double check when I get home, but those bows that attach to the bracket in that pic look thicker than the ones on my top. Seems like mine were closer to the same diameter as the reaer-most one shown in that pic. I might be wrong. Memory not so good anymore.

I will go out and verify if the brackets are on wrong. Man, I need to learn more about this JK. I know I have only had it for 3 weeks, but I should know if the brackets are upside down or what...............

Anthony
Old 05-23-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Guys, I finally got a JK... Landers Mclarty finally gave me one. I am new to the forum but not to Jeeps. I will have pic up some, if it ever stops raining and I in town long enough.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat