Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 05-12-2009, 05:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilky
Hey guys, Was in your neck of the woods Thursday ... drove in from Little Rock, looked at several homesites/communities, made an offer on one down off of Beadle and Wall Triana, drove back to Little Rock.
How'd the offer go Wilky? You a "soon to be" Huntsville home owner?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Hey guys, juct checking in. Been real busy trying to get all the paperwork and everything done so I can head overseas. Should be in country by June 1st if not sooner. Expect to leave for Ft Bennig for one week at the end of next week. If I can Ill stop by for lunch, need to go reread the thread on where everyone is going and when
Old 05-13-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Jason, I see youre running magnaflow exhaust, hows the sound? Am looking to switch but dont want it as loud as my truck
Old 05-13-2009, 03:48 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 08RedRecon
Jason, I see youre running magnaflow exhaust, hows the sound? Am looking to switch but dont want it as loud as my truck
During one of our lunch meets, a number of us heard the muffler so others could also comment - personally I thought it sounded pretty good.

It sounded even better on our big trail ride to Skyline when Jason would get stuck in a mud puddle - with those old tires spinning wildly, the engine rumble was great!!! My guess is that those days are gone now that he has the big 35's. Oh wait, wasn't there another mud predicament recently.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jasonclarkusaf
I ended up buying a 9000lb winch from Harbor Freight. I had a $100 gift card from Christmas plus a 20% off coupon so I ended up sub $200. These things have had good reveiws and even did well in the competition that whichever magazine it was held. I've already got my money's worth with it. When I got buried in that nasty mud hole a recovery strap wouldn't have been long enough for Travis to get on a spot with good traction, so we took the cable out 50ft hooked it up to his Jeep and 30 secodns later I was free and clear. It's obviously not a Warn or Ramsey but for my purposes and budget it will get the job done. I love being the canary for the cheap stuff!!!
Great - the more winches we have, the better off we'll all be out on the trails, and it sounds like you got a good deal.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
During one of our lunch meets, a number of us heard the muffler so others could also comment - personally I thought it sounded pretty good.

It sounded even better on our big trail ride to Skyline when Jason would get stuck in a mud puddle - with those old tires spinning wildly, the engine rumble was great!!! My guess is that those days are gone now that he has the big 35's. Oh wait, wasn't there another mud predicament recently.
That wasn't a mud prediciment, it was a quicksand prediciment. When I stepped out to hook up the winch, I kept sinking and almost had to give up on the boots just to survive. I tried to crawl through since I didn't know how deep it was going to be and it looked like it was only going to be a simple mud hole, WRONG!! A person going as slow as I did even with 40's would have gotten stuck
Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Junkie

Default Thinking of 37's???

Here's a quote by wayoflife wrt what may have contributed to his front Dana 44's destruction. Can't believe the carnage his 37's have racked up.
Originally Posted by wayoflife
well, use/abuse is always a factor and we are hard on our jeep. however, i can honestly say that we only started to see breakage when we upgraded to our toyo 37x13.50's on walker evans beadlocks. these are really big/heavy tires - way more so than a set of BFG's and they have definitely been taking a toll on things. certainly, of the 3 tie rods that we've bent, 2 were bent forward and due to the torque of the tires on steep climbs. we've also gone through 2 steering boxes, 1 drag link, 1 locker and now this. when we were still running 35's, we never had any problems.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

See you guys at lunch!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Jason... thanks for showing up, asshole. The bill will be waiting on you up front. Thanks for the shots of Petron!!

I am sure you had a good excuse.

Last edited by USAF_GroundRat; 05-14-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

sorry I couldn't make it today...I was crazy busy at work/still are.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat