Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 05-04-2009, 06:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonclarkusaf
So I'm sitting here thinking about tires (Yes, it's strange, I know) and a thought just occurred to me; shouldn't in theory a 35" tire last longer than a 33" tire??? I mean if a 33 has 700 revolutions per mile and a 35 has 625 revs per mile, each section of tread on a 35 would actually touch the pavement 10.7% less than a 33. Wouldn't you think in this case that a 35" would last 10.7% longer than a 33 in the same tire being that tread is not going to be worn down if it's not touching ground?

If my thought process is correct, then it's actually more cost effective (considering only tire cost) to buy the larger tire even though it may be 5-8% more.

I really need better things to day dream about!!
Interesting!! Now you need to calculate the benefits of longer wear verses increased weight and Moment of Inertia effects on gas mileage, which I suspect is adversely affected. Let us know how it balances out.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Interesting!! Now you need to calculate the benefits of longer wear verses increased weight and Moment of Inertia effects on gas mileage, which I suspect is adversely affected. Let us know how it balances out.
She doesn't know about gas mileage effects, she only sees the $1500-$2000 I drop on tires.

I need to mention the gas mileage when I start talking gears though!!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Junkie

That's actually what started my thinking. I was talking about how I wanted to get 37's when the 35's burn down, I was then trying to explain to her the benefit to them even though I would be paying a few hundred dollars more
37's?? Have you been hanging around Steve?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

A sawzall sounds like a good time, but, I say lets find a plasma cutter!! There is nothing cooler than cutting with fire!!

Jeff we'll be over in a few weeks to hack up Travis' JK, perhaps you can have a fire extinguisher on hand???
Awesome!! Count me in.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

woo hooo let's all hack up my jeep at jeff's house!!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

37's?? Have you been hanging around Steve?
No but...... I installed a body lift this weekend, and my 35's now look like the 33's did last week. I fell into a decent sum of cash , and have been doing some "thinking".

Firestone has a 30 day "buy and try" program, so I'm considering taking these bad boys back, getting another inch of suspension lift, regearing, and tossing some big boys on there.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:48 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tboginski
woo hooo let's all hack up my jeep at jeff's house!!!!
Hey, what's wrong with you? You're not supposed to be as excited about cutting on your Jeep as your friends are.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:53 PM
JK Junkie

No but...... I installed a body lift this weekend, and my 35's now look like the 33's did last week.
How did the install go? Was the cutting/trimming easy? How's the shift level feel now that you're an inch higher? Any interference? Sorry about all the questions . . . am almost ready to lift mine, but am not quite there yet.

Firestone has a 30 day "buy and try" program, so I'm considering taking these bad boys back, getting another inch of suspension lift, regearing, and tossing some big boys on there.
Interesting - the 37's probably wouldn't be too much more than what you paid for the 35's. How high are you going lift wise?

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 05-04-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

How did the install go? Was the cutting/trimming easy? How's the shift level feel now that you're an inch higher? Any interference? Sorry about all the questions . . . am almost ready to lift mine, but am not quite there yet.

Interesting - the 37's probably wouldn't be too much more than what you paid for the 35's. How high are you going lift wise?
Install was a breeze, it took about 1.5 hours. As for the shift boot trimming, I had to cut more than I anticipated and kind of crafted my own replacement inner boot to keep dirt and such out. Once the outer boot was back on it was no problem at all. The shifter actually sits at a better level for me now, and appears to be out of the way of accesories plugged into the 12V.

As for the 37's, it's still just an idea. I've got 21 days to think about it.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

ok guys. I now drive the totally stock 09 red rock JK with project JK sticker on the rear of it.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat