Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 05-04-2009, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears/tire combinations

Hey guys.. what is everybody running that has went with larger tires? I have the rubicon wheels on stock X right now. It seems pretty sluggish so I'm sure I have the 3.23 gears most likely. I know I would probably upgrade tires at some point and want to plan the gears in the process also. in the 33-35 range, manual tranny... what's ideal 4.10? 4.88?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BullDawg
Hey guys.. what is everybody running that has went with larger tires? I have the rubicon wheels on stock X right now. It seems pretty sluggish so I'm sure I have the 3.23 gears most likely. I know I would probably upgrade tires at some point and want to plan the gears in the process also. in the 33-35 range, manual tranny... what's ideal 4.10? 4.88?
I've got the same setup as far as gears as you; 3.21. It was sluggish but bearable with stock tires, sluggish but bearable with 33's, and it's now sluggish but bearable with 35's. Honestly, I don't notice much of a difference between the three tire sizes except when trying to get up a steep incline on the highway, and of course gas mileage decrease with each increase in tire size. I think most, if not all of us on the Huntsville thread are running stock gears, be it 3.21, 3.73, or 4.10. I think we are would agree that no matter where we sit for gearing, the JK will be sluggish but bearable.

Last edited by jasonclarkusaf; 05-04-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: dumb spelling errors
Old 05-04-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jasonclarkusaf
I've got the same setup as far as gears as you; 3.21. It was sluggish but bearable with stock tires, sluggish but bearable with 33's, and it's now sluggish but bearable with 35's. Honestly, I don't notice much of a difference between the three tire sizes except when trying to get up a steep incline on the highway, and of course gas mileage decrease with each increase in tire size. I think most, if not all of us on the Huntsville thread are running stock gears, be it 3.21, 3.73, or 4.10. I think we are would agree that no matter where we sit for gearing, the JK will be sluggish but bearable.
Yeah I hear ya.. I drove Travis' jeep with the 33" on it... automatic not sure what gears it has but it was still real peppy for a Jeep with stock gears. The Manual just struggles like you said especially with the 3.21's... 6th gear is basically useless except when really cruisin on the interstate. I'm like you.. I'll probably tough it out and stick with what I got for the short term Its a jeep not a sports car right? haha. Can't take the doors off a sports car and look near good either.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jasonclarkusaf
the JK will be sluggish but bearable.
perfectly said.
I have a CAI...i'm going to get my exhaust put on and maybe a hypertec chip and just deal with it.
If i want to go fast I'll drive my Audi.

gears would be nice but they are way down the list for me.

with my Dana 30 and 35's
i was thinking i should get the EVO Gussets though...any ideas where i could get them welded on??

Old 05-04-2009, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tboginski
perfectly said.
I have a CAI...i'm going to get my exhaust put on and maybe a hypertec chip and just deal with it.
If i want to go fast I'll drive my Audi.

gears would be nice but they are way down the list for me.

with my Dana 30 and 35's
i was thinking i should get the EVO Gussets though...any ideas where i could get them welded on??

Ok I'll bite.. what the hell are EVO gussets? school me ole master.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:03 AM
JK Freak

http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...VO-AXLEGUSSETS

so the 35's don't destroy my little D30.

From what i read it shouldn't be a problem but i'd rather spend 90 bucks on these than buy new axels.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Looks good Travis. Ill have to stop by while Im on leave. May not be leaving for another 4 weeks max.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08RedRecon
Looks good Travis. Ill have to stop by while Im on leave. May not be leaving for another 4 weeks max.
thank you sir.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BullDawg
Ok I'll bite.. what the hell are EVO gussets? school me ole master.
I dont thin k you need them, but spend th emoney anyway!! theyll look cool.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08RedRecon
I dont thin k you need them, but spend th emoney anyway!! theyll look cool.
well, they will come after my front and rear trackbars and discos....i actually NEED that stuff. ask Jeff,Gary and Dennis

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat