Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 04-21-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonclarkusaf
I plan on making the dive back in 35" tires, but I can't decide which ones to go with. I really like the KM2's that Jeff has, but I think the Mud Grapplers are really badass too. I could go with Hankook's and save a few bucks or Kuhmo, but they are directional. Then there's Firestone and Dunlop down at the bottom of my list. Anyone have any useful input??
I can only comment on what I've experienced....the KM2s are awesome! Good on-road manners, but awesome in the mud.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tboginski
Wilky..one more question: how do you like that winch...that is my next purchase. I have decided that's the winch i'm getting. just wondering how it's been for you.
I believe in thoroughly detailing the needs vs. the wants when shopping for a winch. I had a 9K Tabor (Warn) on my TJ...I bring this up b/c it's relevant to why I went with the one currently on the JK.
When I sat down and started jotting down facts, I discovered that 75% of my winching time was self-recovery and the remainder was helping others out (I wheel alone alot...I know, I know, I shouldn't do that). Then I weighed the option of various motors for the winch (series vs. planatery). Next came the weight to pull ratio and the line speed. For the two+ times a month that I use a winch, I felt that an 8K or 9K, series wound with decent line speed and a snatch block would be right for my needs.
So....I felt no need to spend upwards of $1000 on a winch when a $299-499 one would fit my needs. Granted, the upscale ones are twice/three times the winch I have, but I personally didn't need them. If I were a dedicated rock crawler or a dedicated recovery vehicle in a club, then I would absolutely drop the cash for a high-end winch with air compressor, wireless remote, two speed gear, etc.
I think you should go with it, but if you plan to utilize frequently (ie. once/twice a week) you might want to upgrade b/c a high-end unit will last longer and perform better.
p.s. 4-wheel drive parts (the store) owns the rights to Smittybuilt and stands behind their products. Don't be afraid to trust the XRC8, it has served me well so far.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jasonclarkusaf
I plan on making the dive back in 35" tires, but I can't decide which ones to go with. I really like the KM2's that Jeff has, but I think the Mud Grapplers are really badass too. I could go with Hankook's and save a few bucks or Kuhmo, but they are directional. Then there's Firestone and Dunlop down at the bottom of my list. Anyone have any useful input??
KM2s without a doubt.
Though, I have to complain about their "decent" traction in the snow/ice. The problem is they aren't siped and slip a little on packed snow. They do awesome in the loose powder though and mud/rocks are NOTHING for them to conquer. Plus, they have great on-road manners and are fairly quiet.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

man how can you stand not getting those on??
i'm super excited and i'm only gonna get an inch, if that....c'mon denny..your jeep wants to grow, it wants to get bigger, it's your jeeps destiny...you can't deny your jeep it's destiny...
The problem is that after the coils go on, it will make my 33's look small and then I won't have a choice. My jeep will demand 35's and I will be compelled to obey.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Wilky
I believe in thoroughly detailing the needs vs. the wants when shopping for a winch. I had a 9K Tabor (Warn) on my TJ...I bring this up b/c it's relevant to why I went with the one currently on the JK.
When I sat down and started jotting down facts, I discovered that 75% of my winching time was self-recovery and the remainder was helping others out (I wheel alone alot...I know, I know, I shouldn't do that). Then I weighed the option of various motors for the winch (series vs. planatery). Next came the weight to pull ratio and the line speed. For the two+ times a month that I use a winch, I felt that an 8K or 9K, series wound with decent line speed and a snatch block would be right for my needs.
So....I felt no need to spend upwards of $1000 on a winch when a $299-499 one would fit my needs. Granted, the upscale ones are twice/three times the winch I have, but I personally didn't need them. If I were a dedicated rock crawler or a dedicated recovery vehicle in a club, then I would absolutely drop the cash for a high-end winch with air compressor, wireless remote, two speed gear, etc.
I think you should go with it, but if you plan to utilize frequently (ie. once/twice a week) you might want to upgrade b/c a high-end unit will last longer and perform better.
p.s. 4-wheel drive parts (the store) owns the rights to Smittybuilt and stands behind their products. Don't be afraid to trust the XRC8, it has served me well so far.

thanks
pretty much what i thought..i'm gonna use it once every month or two...i want it to work when i need it but pull speed an stuff aren't worth double the price.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Denny2565
I'm looking at upgrading to 35's too. But I tend to be a little unconventional and have to try something different. I may go for the Dick Cepek Crusher or maybe the Goodyear MTR-Kelvar; or I may play it safe and go with Firestone Destination MT or the Mickey Thompson MTZ. My ATZ's have done really good and I know what I'm getting with Mickey Thompsons.
thecrushers are badd ass!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

The problem is that after the coils go on, it will make my 33's look small and then I won't have a choice. My jeep will demand 35's and I will be compelled to obey.
you just pretty much summed up my daily struggle

on a side note i'm priming and painting springs in my garage all night tonight...well currently actually, waiting for the first coat to dry now...any words of advise??
Old 04-21-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

you just pretty much summed up my daily struggle

on a side note i'm priming and painting springs in my garage all night tonight...well currently actually, waiting for the first coat to dry now...any words of advise??
no, I was never very good at painting stuff. But damn it, I'm good at fixing stuff. And tearing up after I fix it
Old 04-21-2009, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

If you "accidentally" huff a little paint, watch out for the overspray or you may end up like this guy:

Old 04-21-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

If you "accidentally" huff a little paint, watch out for the overspray or you may end up like this guy:

all primered up...about to shoot the blue!

or

all primered up...about to fuck up some ruby springs

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat