Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 04-06-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by In5ane
Let me shed some light on this subject a little further.

Not to question your creditability at all, but don't think what you've heard is true. There are no "hunting clubs" at skyline. It's a wildlife management area and open to the public. They can't lock the gate from what I know. I think your friend has gotten some misinformation. I know people who ride up there all the time with NO PROBLEMS. Maybe your source heard the information wrong, but there is no private land up there for anyone to lock. Being a management area, the only way they would lock the gate is if they stop people from riding up there which so far they haven't. Also, they do shut some of the gates during deer season, but that's over and done with. So, most of the gates should be open now. I've been up there this year and haven't seen anything blocking trails. I believe Gary has been up there a few times as well. I don't think this is an issue worth worrying about.

With that said, I will also entertain going to Cullman, just to check it out...but not because I think skyline is closed. Again, no shots at you, your creditablity, nor your friend...just telling you what I know from hunting, riding, and knowing others who use the same area. Could they lock the gates....? Sure! Have they locked the gates..? Don't believe so. Is the land open to public..? Yes, that's what a management area is. They don't give out keys to a wildlife management area.
I went wheelin at Skyline just last week. The gate was opened

From what I know from my law enforcement friend is that there have been recent incidents with people drinking out there and riding atvs or ohvs and getting injured/death. No harm no foul until they need help from medical, firefighters, law enforcment, Med Flight, etc. When that happens, Skyline is on the radar map for increased "patrol".

If you have confidence that the gate will be open, I'm all for going to Skyline. It's a shorter drive for me. I would have felt bad if we got together and drove to Skyline and the gate was closed and I didn't say anything.

Let's go wheelin!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Assuming that it's the same permit you use to go hunting there, you can download one or pick one up at one of the gas stations in that area. The permit is just a small section on the management area map that you have to sign and keep with you. Heck, if they have a problem with people riding up there, then take a shotgun with you and claim to be turkey hunting.....

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure that is the permit they are talking about. It's free to everyone.

You can get it HERE.

IN5ANE,
I just remember I have a Alabama Conservation License which I use mainly to go to Swan Creek to go to the shooting range. The license allows me to do the following:

Wildlife Heritage License
Licenses residents to:
Freshwater fish statewide with hook and line from the bank
Fish in Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries (WFF) operated public fishing lakes (daily permit still required)
Hunt small game, except waterfowl, on WFF Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) (WMA Map Permit still required)
Shoot on WFF managed shooting ranges

Based on the license discription, I still need to print and sign the WMA map/permit for Skyline. And you already provided the link to Skyline WMA.

I assuming all I need to do is print the link you sent and sign it, I'll be good to go?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

So, I found out my grandpa had an old cb in his garage. It's a GE brand and has the magnetic antenna which is about 5 foot tall or so. This should get me by for a while to give me an idea on how this thing works. The only part that sucks, is the JK has plastic fenders and rear bumper, so looks like I will have to put the antenna on the passenger side hood (right in front of window. I set it up there last night and it doesn't look as retarded as I initially thought it would. Heck, for now it's free and I can communicate!
You better hold on to it. If it's old enough, it may have been made before the 4 watt restriction started. As for the antenna, you may can just lay it in the back seat if you don't want it wacking low hanging branches.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NOBLING
I went wheelin at Skyline just last week. The gate was opened

From what I know from my law enforcement friend is that there have been recent incidents with people drinking out there and riding atvs or ohvs and getting injured/death. No harm no foul until they need help from medical, firefighters, law enforcment, Med Flight, etc. When that happens, Skyline is on the radar map for increased "patrol".

If you have confidence that the gate will be open, I'm all for going to Skyline. It's a shorter drive for me. I would have felt bad if we got together and drove to Skyline and the gate was closed and I didn't say anything.

Let's go wheelin!!!

I hear ya man, those things make it tough for responsible people to go riding. My intention wasn't to come down on your buddy, I was just giving my opinion. I know there isn't any private clubs up there, so the key thing didn't make sense. Since it's public, I don't see how they would lock the gate. Now, they could have someone at the entrance and only letting legitimate hunters through. But again, this is the first I've heard of it. A friend of mine who rides often up there may know a little more, and I will ask him tomorrow.

On the same token, I can't say 100% that skyline won't be on lock down with all your buddy has said. Not sure I would wager a tank of gas on it without knowing more.

Maybe at this point...Cullman sounds more enticing!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

Well the gates are there for a reason. On what occasions would they lock the gates? I couldn't find anything on any websites. The only thing I found was that turkey season is going on for the rest of the month and people can hunt from daybreak to 1:00.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

IN5ANE,
I just remember I have a Alabama Conservation License which I use mainly to go to Swan Creek to go to the shooting range. The license allows me to do the following:

Wildlife Heritage License
Licenses residents to:
Freshwater fish statewide with hook and line from the bank
Fish in Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries (WFF) operated public fishing lakes (daily permit still required)
Hunt small game, except waterfowl, on WFF Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) (WMA Map Permit still required)
Shoot on WFF managed shooting ranges

Based on the license discription, I still need to print and sign the WMA map/permit for Skyline. And you already provided the link to Skyline WMA.

I assuming all I need to do is print the link you sent and sign it, I'll be good to go?

Yeah man, all you have to do is print and sign. Keep it in your jeep and you should be good. I know it's a pain that you still have to print them even though you have a license, but guess it has a purpose. I also have the management area conservation license.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Well the gates are there for a reason. On what occasions would they lock the gates? I couldn't find anything on any websites. The only thing I found was that turkey season is going on for the rest of the month and people can hunt from daybreak to 1:00.
Hey Denny,

Yeah, they have a purpose...but not sure what all the regulations are. They are open most of the time especially in the summer. I believe during winter, they close a lot of gates to keep people from riding while others are hunting. I don't think they will close them now...but that's an opinion, not a for sure answer.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Yup. Didn't want to leave you out - so mark your calendars everyone. Next Saturday, April 11, we plan to ride Skyline for about 6-7 hours. Am tentatively planning on leaving from the Wendy's on 72E at 1130. We'll ride over to the Stevenson area, and enter the WMA from the east. Exit from the west after we've roamed miles of trail.

Plan to go recon a Level 4/5 trail I've seen from the bottom, but I want to see what it looks like from the top. I do not plan to ride the thing (at least not until I get some more mods) so don't worry about us doing some crazy stuff this trip (unless Steve joins us ). Worst we'll get into is Level 3 or 3+. Everyone should be okay, especially if you already have a couple inches of lift.

I'll follow-up with more details later.
Are we ready to wheel? I will be bringing my HD video camera to make a video. So get those Jeeps ready If you have a BluRay disc player or Playstation 3, I'll be more than happy to make copies for you.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Are we ready to wheel? I will be bringing my HD video camera to make a video. So get those Jeeps ready If you have a BluRay disc player or Playstation 3, I'll be more than happy to make copies for you.
I'm a xbox 360 man
Old 04-07-2009, 03:05 PM
JK Freak

Default new stuff

new bumper and fogs installed
(yup, called in sick to work so i could put this on, sshhhhh don't tell )

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat