Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 04-06-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLING
JK-Rubi,
I just found out from a creditable source (law enforcement) that the gate at Skyline will be locked and the game warden will be checking for permits, alcohol, etc. I'm not sure if they are doing to control the amount of people that may ride Easter weekend or if this is from here on out......

Unless you have a key to the gate, I don't think I'm going to take the chance for "trespassing", so I'm going to Stoney Lonesome in Cullman on Saturday. Are any of you interested?
I may be up for checking that out...
Old 04-06-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Freak

Default CB

So, I found out my grandpa had an old cb in his garage. It's a GE brand and has the magnetic antenna which is about 5 foot tall or so. This should get me by for a while to give me an idea on how this thing works. The only part that sucks, is the JK has plastic fenders and rear bumper, so looks like I will have to put the antenna on the passenger side hood (right in front of window. I set it up there last night and it doesn't look as retarded as I initially thought it would. Heck, for now it's free and I can communicate!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

free rules
Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tboginski
free rules
yeah, that's what I said!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JK-Rubi,
I just found out from a creditable source (law enforcement) that the gate at Skyline will be locked and the game warden will be checking for permits, alcohol, etc. I'm not sure if they are doing to control the amount of people that may ride Easter weekend or if this is from here on out......

Unless you have a key to the gate, I don't think I'm going to take the chance for "trespassing", so I'm going to Stoney Lonesome in Cullman on Saturday. Are any of you interested?
How does one go about obtaining a permit??
Old 04-06-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jasonclarkusaf
How does one go about obtaining a permit??
Assuming that it's the same permit you use to go hunting there, you can download one or pick one up at one of the gas stations in that area. The permit is just a small section on the management area map that you have to sign and keep with you. Heck, if they have a problem with people riding up there, then take a shotgun with you and claim to be turkey hunting.....

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure that is the permit they are talking about. It's free to everyone.

You can get it HERE.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by In5ane
Assuming that it's the same permit you use to go hunting there, you can download one or pick one up at one of the gas stations in that area. The permit is just a small section on the management area map that you have to sign and keep with you. Heck, if they have a problem with people riding up there, then take a shotgun with you and claim to be turkey hunting.....

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure that is the permit they are talking about. It's free to everyone.

You can get it HERE.
A guy at work told me the same thing. If thats all we have to do I don't see an issue. I'm always down for bringing a shotgun along with me
Old 04-06-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jasonclarkusaf
A guy at work told me the same thing. If thats all we have to do I don't see an issue. I'm always down for bringing a shotgun along with me
I have several as well...
Old 04-06-2009, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Still doesn't solve the problem if the gate is locked. From what I understand, only members of the hunting club have keys to the gate??????????
Old 04-06-2009, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Still doesn't solve the problem if the gate is locked. From what I understand, only members of the hunting club have keys to the gate??????????
Let me shed some light on this subject a little further.

Not to question your creditability at all, but don't think what you've heard is true. There are no "hunting clubs" at skyline. It's a wildlife management area and open to the public. They can't lock the gate from what I know. I think your friend has gotten some misinformation. I know people who ride up there all the time with NO PROBLEMS. Maybe your source heard the information wrong, but there is no private land up there for anyone to lock. Being a management area, the only way they would lock the gate is if they stop people from riding up there which so far they haven't. Also, they do shut some of the gates during deer season, but that's over and done with. So, most of the gates should be open now. I've been up there this year and haven't seen anything blocking trails. I believe Gary has been up there a few times as well. I don't think this is an issue worth worrying about.

With that said, I will also entertain going to Cullman, just to check it out...but not because I think skyline is closed. Again, no shots at you, your creditablity, nor your friend...just telling you what I know from hunting, riding, and knowing others who use the same area. Could they lock the gates....? Sure! Have they locked the gates..? Don't believe so. Is the land open to public..? Yes, that's what a management area is. They don't give out keys to a wildlife management area.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat