Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 04-04-2009, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Hey Jeff - your friendly neighborhood garage offer still open? I'm looking for help with my new Crown brake lines, and Currie coil retainers.
Yes, just let me know when you would like to come do it.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Word of advice on CB and accessory selection. Don't go too cheap. I went with a $35 Cobra from WalMart and a $30 magnetic antenna/coax combo from Radio Shack and it worked pretty good for about two rides. After that, people had trouble hearing me. I figured out the antenna probably fried the cb circuits. I put a meter on it and never could get a reading below 3 no matter what I tried.
I'll tell you what I've got so you'll have an idea where to get started. Went to Pilot and got a tunable antenna, coax and the bracket y'all saw today. The bracket is actually half of a mirror mount that already had the studmount in the package. These three parts were around $50. There's too many choices in radios for me to get in to. The Walmart special might be ok with a good antenna and coax, but I'm not sure.
I bought my cb radio as a package from Quadratec. Came with a Cobra 510 XL radio, 18 ft rf cable, stainless steel antenna bracket, and Firestik 4' antenna. And the antenna came already tuned. Since I mounted the cb radio in my center console, I bought a Radio shack external speaker and mounted under the driver seat. It is pretty loud at half volume with the top down, so sound level is not an issue under the seat.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NOBLING
I bought my cb radio as a package from Quadratec. Came with a Cobra 510 XL radio, 18 ft rf cable, stainless steel antenna bracket, and Firestik 4' antenna. And the antenna came already tuned. Since I mounted the cb radio in my center console, I bought a Radio shack external speaker and mounted under the driver seat. It is pretty loud at half volume with the top down, so sound level is not an issue under the seat.
Got a pic of where you mounted it...apparently I didn't notice it when I saw your jeep the other day.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by In5ane
Got a pic of where you mounted it...apparently I didn't notice it when I saw your jeep the other day.
No, never thought about taken pics of my cb install.... But I can take some. That the idea, out of sight installation.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

For the record, I thought Jason's muffler mod sounded good. May have to take him up on the Sawzall offer.
Yes, it sounded great!
Old 04-04-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NOBLING
No, never thought about taken pics of my cb install.... But I can take some. That the idea, out of sight installation.
Yeah...just was curious of how you mounted it. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

Sounds like you went with the good stuff.

By the way, we figured that the only thing stopping you from the Five Guys lunch meet-up was the three cars you were selling simultaneously - so does that mean you'll be able to join us this coming Saturday for the Skyline ride?
i was actuallly selling two cars to one lady, one for her and one for her daughter...sorry i missed the lunch but when someone is buying two.....well you know...
Old 04-05-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tboginski
i was actuallly selling two cars to one lady, one for her and one for her daughter...sorry i missed the lunch but when someone is buying two.....well you know...
Hey, we we're close . . . we'll catch you next time.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

should be getting my jeep back from the dealership tuesday....so wednesday i'm taking off work and installing my new bumper, my new fog lights, wireing up some new switches to run some lights and i want to install my new CB. i'm pretty excited.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yup. Didn't want to leave you out - so mark your calendars everyone. Next Saturday, April 11, we plan to ride Skyline for about 6-7 hours. Am tentatively planning on leaving from the Wendy's on 72E at 1130. We'll ride over to the Stevenson area, and enter the WMA from the east. Exit from the west after we've roamed miles of trail.

Plan to go recon a Level 4/5 trail I've seen from the bottom, but I want to see what it looks like from the top. I do not plan to ride the thing (at least not until I get some more mods) so don't worry about us doing some crazy stuff this trip (unless Steve joins us ). Worst we'll get into is Level 3 or 3+. Everyone should be okay, especially if you already have a couple inches of lift.

I'll follow-up with more details later.
JK-Rubi,
I just found out from a creditable source (law enforcement) that the gate at Skyline will be locked and the game warden will be checking for permits, alcohol, etc. I'm not sure if they are doing to control the amount of people that may ride Easter weekend or if this is from here on out......

Unless you have a key to the gate, I don't think I'm going to take the chance for "trespassing", so I'm going to Stoney Lonesome in Cullman on Saturday. Are any of you interested?

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat