Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 04-03-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by In5ane
How much would it cost for me to get in on one before the ride...and would I get install help?
Probably could pick something up from the Pilot Truck Stop in Priceville for around $50-60. As for the help part, bama is an expert from what I've seen of his install, but I'd take a look at it if you were having issues. They're fairly straightforward - connect radio, coax, antenna, and mount together. Might need a little tweaking of the antenna, but at least you could hear everyone.

There are many good threads here on the forum with respect to models, mounting locations, etc.

Edit: Costs I quoted above was just for radio. Antenna, mount, and coax will add a little more (maybe $40).

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 04-03-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Junkie

Hey Jeff - your friendly neighborhood garage offer still open? I'm looking for help with my new Crown brake lines, and Currie coil retainers.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Word of advice on CB and accessory selection. Don't go too cheap. I went with a $35 Cobra from WalMart and a $30 magnetic antenna/coax combo from Radio Shack and it worked pretty good for about two rides. After that, people had trouble hearing me. I figured out the antenna probably fried the cb circuits. I put a meter on it and never could get a reading below 3 no matter what I tried.
I'll tell you what I've got so you'll have an idea where to get started. Went to Pilot and got a tunable antenna, coax and the bracket y'all saw today. The bracket is actually half of a mirror mount that already had the studmount in the package. These three parts were around $50. There's too many choices in radios for me to get in to. The Walmart special might be ok with a good antenna and coax, but I'm not sure.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Word of advice on CB and accessory selection. Don't go too cheap. I went with a $35 Cobra from WalMart and a $30 magnetic antenna/coax combo from Radio Shack and it worked pretty good for about two rides. After that, people had trouble hearing me. I figured out the antenna probably fried the cb circuits. I put a meter on it and never could get a reading below 3 no matter what I tried.
I'll tell you what I've got so you'll have an idea where to get started. Went to Pilot and got a tunable antenna, coax and the bracket y'all saw today. The bracket is actually half of a mirror mount that already had the studmount in the package. These three parts were around $50. There's too many choices in radios for me to get in to. The Walmart special might be ok with a good antenna and coax, but I'm not sure.
so you got to get a new cb now..?
Old 04-04-2009, 04:29 AM
JK Junkie

He did.

I hear that the old one might be available for half price 'cause it only half works. You can listen, but you can't transmit.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jasonclarkusaf
That is the reason I didn't use the glass pack. I used a Magnaflow muffler. We can meet up some time this week and you can check it out if you want to. There is definitely no rice in mine and my gas mileage increased. Hell, I've got the Sawzall still sitting in the same palce as it was when I did this 5month ago, you could just come over to the house and have at it. Just bring me a beer or five
For the record, I thought Jason's muffler mod sounded good. May have to take him up on the Sawzall offer.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

Yea I picked up a cobra 29 about a month ago.

Last edited by Denny2565; 04-04-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Probably could pick something up from the Pilot Truck Stop in Priceville for around $50-60. As for the help part, bama is an expert from what I've seen of his install, but I'd take a look at it if you were having issues. They're fairly straightforward - connect radio, coax, antenna, and mount together. Might need a little tweaking of the antenna, but at least you could hear everyone.

There are many good threads here on the forum with respect to models, mounting locations, etc.

Edit: Costs I quoted above was just for radio. Antenna, mount, and coax will add a little more (maybe $40).
i just bought one for 33 bucks and got the antenna mount, a firestick and the cable for 100 bucks...will be installing next week.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:17 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tboginski
i just bought one for 33 bucks and got the antenna mount, a firestick and the cable for 100 bucks...will be installing next week.
Sounds like you went with the good stuff.

By the way, we figured that the only thing stopping you from the Five Guys lunch meet-up was the three cars you were selling simultaneously - so does that mean you'll be able to join us this coming Saturday for the Skyline ride?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tboginski
Where did you get your stuff?

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat