Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Front Bumper Build

Old 05-03-2009, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'm trying to put together a build along, so here goes it.

Step One (which should probably be step two in most cases): Look at the available material to make the bumper out of. In this case, I have an abundance of 4x6" 3/16" stock; but, it's not quite as long as the entire bumper, so I'll have to make separate wings.

Step Two: Design the bumper.

This is my quick rendering of what I want it to look like. Since this is a quick rendering, it's not to scale, with no measurements provided.

Step Three: Assuming there are measurements from the designing of the bumper, start making templates of the various shapes out of cardboard. Then trace out the templates on the steel stock with a Sharpie.

Step Four: Cut the shapes out of the steel. I'm using an angle-grinder.

Step Five: Clean up the cuts. Make sure all pieces are equal to their opposite side counter part, and that all corresponding pieces fit together.

Step Six: Clean up the steel. My stock is pretty rough, with surface rust on the inside and a heavy primer on the outside. I want to make sure all the rust and primer is off. Additionally, I want the inside to be primed, or have some kind of rust inhibitor applied to it.

Step Seven: Drill holes.

Step Eight: Test-fit the center piece.

Step Nine: Weld up the shapes.

Step Ten: Clean up the welds. My welds will not be pretty, so I'm going to have to hit them with the angle grinder to make everything look nice.

Step Eleven: Apply primer/finish coat to bumper. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'm thinking I'll rattle-can it first. Once I get a winch, then I'll probably have it powder coated to match the Expedition One rear bumper.

OK, I just made up all these steps as I've been typing, and as I said before, I've never done this before. The steps will probably change; but, for now, this is my outline.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:12 AM
JK Freak

Sounds like a solid plan to me.... of course I have NO fabrication experience so take that for what it's worth

keep us posted
Old 05-04-2009, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ordered my Teraflex spacers and shackle mounts today. I have a pretty busy work week, so I probably won't get back to the bumper until the end of the week. Maybe my new grinder will be here by then.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I shit-canned the Teraflex spacers and shackle mounts because I thought I was buying pairs when I was buying single pieces. I ended up ordering the PJ shackle mounts.

I'm thinking about the Daystar 3/4" spacers, though.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've edited the first post to include the outline, which I will update as the bumper progresses.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Currently on Step 3.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris great idea using the cardboard as a template

as far as getting rid of the rust you could coat the steal in Por-15 or get it sand blasted, just sanding it wont get rid of it, it will come back.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tkob1060
Chris great idea using the cardboard as a template

as far as getting rid of the rust you could coat the steal in Por-15 or get it sand blasted, just sanding it wont get rid of it, it will come back.
Por-15 is what I was thinking about doing.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

nice job , i just finish mine

i will start a tread as soon as i can

Old 05-07-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Goldorak
nice job , i just finish mine

i will start a tread as soon as i can

Are you using plate?