Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Front Bumper Build

Old 05-01-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It always seems that people making their own bumpers often build something that looks better than what alot of the professionals make.

Awesome man! Can't wait to see it finished. Are you going to rattle can it or powdercoat? You'd be surprised on how inexspensive powdercoating is.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by muddpuppy01
I know its a little late but to give you a tip on making that curve if you were to cut a pie out of the ends on the top and bottom part of it then heat up the front side with a torch then hammer it into place you would only have two welds to do and be alittle bit stronger

doing it the way you did you have to be carefull of pulling the metal out of alignment with all the welding in the tight surface area
I agree, and this was what I intended on doing, but didn't for one reason:

1. The 4x6 stock that I have is about 6" too short. If I was building a stubby, the stock would be long enough; but, it's more of a mid-width.

I'm thinking about doing the wings again. I cut the wrong line, and that's how I ended up with the sliver in between the wings and the center.

Yep, I'm going to make new wings, using a template this time.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

Looks good man. Keep us posted and feed us lots of pics along the way.

I really get off doing my own thing.

damn, that doesn't sounds right
Old 05-01-2009, 09:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottrock
Looks good man. Keep us posted and feed us lots of pics along the way.

I really get off doing my own thing.

damn, that doesn't sounds right
TMI
Old 05-02-2009, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Update: Well, not really an update. I'm the type of person who has to have their own stuff; I hate using/borrowing/renting anything.

I bought my own angle grinder, a Bosch 1801, which is a 9.5 amp, 5". Before, I was using a 5 amp, 4.5" tiny-tim, which actually worked pretty well.

I also bought a real respirator with replaceable filters, and I finally found some over-glasses goggles that are comfortable.

I'm safety first all the way!

I dare someone to show an example where safety wasn't of the utmost concern to me!

I need to order the Teraflex shackle mounts, which are the most affordable ones I could find, at $39/pair.

Also on the tools list are bi-metal hole-saws in a few sizes, some angle-grinder flap sanding wheels, and maybe a twisted wire sanding wheel and cup.

The list never ends, but the stuff I'm learning is priceless.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by C_Kyle
Update: Well, not really an update. I'm the type of person who has to have their own stuff; I hate using/borrowing/renting anything.

I bought my own angle grinder, a Bosch 1801, which is a 9.5 amp, 5". Before, I was using a 5 amp, 4.5" tiny-tim, which actually worked pretty well.

I also bought a real respirator with replaceable filters, and I finally found some over-glasses goggles that are comfortable.

I dare someone to show an example where safety wasn't of the utmost concern to me!

I need to order the Teraflex shackle mounts, which are the most affordable ones I could find, at $39/pair.

Also on the tools list are bi-metal hole-saws in a few sizes, some angle-grinder flap sanding wheels, and maybe a twisted wire sanding wheel and cup.

The list never ends, but the stuff I'm learning is priceless.
I'm the same way dude. Of course that usually translates to longer build time cuz not only do I have to save for the materials, I gotta spring for the tools too. But then I will ALWAYS have the tool!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that should do for now

I cant wait to see more work on your bumper
Old 05-03-2009, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

What? They were just a couple of little hills to climb over.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:50 AM
JK Freak

What? They were just a couple of little hills to climb over.
and what about the "little hill" you did when no cameras were pointed at you? I think you have some pretty nice battle scars from that "safe" journey
Old 05-03-2009, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by l3itch
and what about the "little hill" you did when no cameras were pointed at you? I think you have some pretty nice battle scars from that "safe" journey
OK, I'm busted, I guess.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Build