Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Another tear down paradise to put up a parking lot story - SM Hills

Old 09-23-2009, 01:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another tear down paradise to put up a parking lot story - SM Hills

First let me say that this isn't some political advertisement or anything but more a thread to make you users of the San Marcos Hills aware of something that could ruin the beautiful slice of off-road heaven that is only minutes away.

First a little background:
The San Marcos Mountains extend for approximately 3.5 miles (5.6 km) in a northwesterly-southeasterly direction. On the west lies the city of Vista, and to the east is North Twin Oaks Valley (named after two enormous coast live oaks) and the Merriam Mountains. The highest point along the rocky crest of the range is 1,671 feet (509 m).

The Merriam Mountains on the east side of Twin Oaks Valley are composed of prominent boulders of exfoliating granodiorite. The Palomar "P" hill north of Palomar College (and south of the San Marcos range) is composed of Santiago Peak Volcanic rock. This dark, fine-grained Jurassic age rock is very resistant to erosion, and is the primary reason for some of the steep roads that are well-known to bicyclists in San Diego County.

The Merriam Mountains on the east side of Twin Oaks Valley are composed of prominent boulders of exfoliating Woodson Mt. Granodiorite. The Palomar "P" hill (Owen's Peak) is composed of Santiago Peak Volcanic rock. This dark, fine-grained Jurassic age rock is very resistant to erosion and forms some of the steep roads well-known to bicyclists in San Diego County. Another little known fact about the Merriam Mountain area is it used to be a common drop spot for drug smugglers so it was nicknamed "Drug Airport" and constant raids took place in those mountains.

Lesson Learned:
The area we refer to as The San Marcos Hills is actually the Merriam Mountains - geeze thanks Mr. thanks but why the lesson. Be patient my boy it's all going to be crystal clear soon.

SAN MARCOS -- Local residents who oppose the idea of allowing a developer to build thousands of homes in the hills along the west side of Interstate 15 north of Escondido have taken aim at the amount of traffic the proposed "Merriam Mountains" development would generate.
In a flier distributed last month, a new group called "Citizens Against Stonegate Traffic" -- or CAST -- highlighted the 35,000 car trips the neighborhood's residents would take on local roads every day...

Lesson Learned:
It's like the Indian with a Crying Indian commercial from years ago. I've attached the link cuz I think a lot of you are too young to remember but the message still applies!

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/499/

I've attached a link to the article which has other helpful links if you are interested in learning more:
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/sa...4b1784e91.html
Not sure about you but I like todays view of the boulders and open space over this version.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To start off with, I do remember the crying indian commercial.
And it fits.
It never ceases to amaze me how developers can come into an area, flash some fancy idea, and the locals are supposed to go along with it.
HAve they taken into account the pollution from all the vewhicles or the added waste mangement that will be needed?
IMO, God only made so much natural areas and to plow it under would be wrong.
Not to mention the wildlife that would be affecteds by doing this.
Then, after completion, the wildlife come back into the area and the homeowners get up in arms because they have wildlife attatcking their pets, and want something be done to protect against the wildlife.
IMHO, leave nature as God intended.
Maybe Im out in left field with this statement but thats my opinion and Im sticking to it.
Hope I was clear.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually heard someone mention San Marcos at work a couple weeks ago. So I am assuming they will be looking to put in low income family housing down there as well.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by rangleme
I actually heard someone mention San Marcos at work a couple weeks ago. So I am assuming they will be looking to put in low income family housing down there as well.
Tanya you've been on those trails! Pretty awesome views but to destroy all of it for more tract homes that aren't selling (depressed market) and add to more traffic, pollution, overcrowding is wrong JMO. The developer has been fighting everyone to build there for years and now they are trying to buy people by contributing to community events to win support...problem is some people don't actually know what's going on that's why I posted this to gain some awareness!

SM HILLS Lovers enjoy it now for it may be gone tomorrow!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Tanya you've been on those trails! Pretty awesome views but to destroy all of it for more tract homes that aren't selling (depressed market) and add to more traffic, pollution, overcrowding is wrong JMO. The developer has been fighting everyone to build there for years and now they are trying to buy people by contributing to community events to win support...problem is some people don't actually know what's going on that's why I posted this to gain some awareness!

SM HILLS Lovers enjoy it now for it may be gone tomorrow!
I hear yah and yes there are some pretty great views......It's pretty sad (crying Indian here and I remember his commercials) that our parks are being closed and open land is continuing to be developed. One of the reasons I love going on trails with my kids is so they can appreciate the beauty of open land.....
Old 09-24-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Jedi

I hear yah and yes there are some pretty great views......It's pretty sad (crying Indian here and I remember his commercials) that our parks are being closed and open land is continuing to be developed. One of the reasons I love going on trails with my kids is so they can appreciate the beauty of open land.....

It's great that you do that with the kids because they don't get to enjoy the things we had growing up like the open land. When I was a kid we would ride our motorcycles from Rancho Penasquitos all the way to the coast and be on nothing but open land with canyons & lakes...now while driving down the 56 all you see are homes and I tell Brenda somewhere right now is that crying Indian...it sucks for our kids cause the only time they experience that openess is on the trails, so keep bringing them!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:22 AM
JK Junkie

Yesterday I was talking to my mom about where a place to take my daughter and my niece horseback riding close by. I have no idea anymore. Back in the day we could ride along the beach in Crystal Cove.

And growing up I used to see cowboys driving their cattle on the hills behind my house. Now there are houses on that hill

Good you are getting the word out.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Jedi

Yesterday I was talking to my mom about where a place to take my daughter and my niece horseback riding close by. I have no idea anymore. Back in the day we could ride along the beach in Crystal Cove.

And growing up I used to see cowboys driving their cattle on the hills behind my house. Now there are houses on that hill

Really sucks that they didn't get to see any of that and thanks that's why I started this thread to raise awareness. The only problem Brenda sees with the thread is I should have named it SM HILLS to grab peoples attention to it...really wish we could edit the title but it really is "another tear down paradise to put up a parking lot" story.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

Ranglemama said you used to sit on the porch and watch the Pony Express man ride by too! Is that true?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:39 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 08redJKnCA
Ranglemama said you used to sit on the porch and watch the Pony Express man ride by too! Is that true?
You gotta admit the mail came sooner in those days! thanks for the laugh Allan!

Quick Reply: Another tear down paradise to put up a parking lot story - SM Hills