Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Alarms

Old 03-17-2009, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alarms

So I just bought an 09 X, I chose the rag top because I'm eventually going to HI .
I've been browsing around alarms lately, due to the fact that I bought the base model.
I'm thinking about Viper with a proximity sensor... does anyone think that is overkill?
Input please???
Old 03-17-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkjunky
So I just bought an 09 X, I chose the rag top because I'm eventually going to HI .
I've been browsing around alarms lately, due to the fact that I bought the base model.
I'm thinking about Viper with a proximity sensor... does anyone think that is overkill?
Input please???
I'd say scrap the alarm idea all together. Your Jeep already has a passive security system (smart key thingy). Proximity alarms are a pain in the butt in my experience. Honestly, if someone wants something, they will get it, no mater what you do or have. Best advice is don't leave anything worth taking in the Jeep unsecured.

Just my opinion and I delt with many nightmares EARLY on with security systems and issues. Totally not worth it, but I am sure you will get insight from the other side of the spectrum who hopefully had better experiences than I did...
Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gryph0n
I'd say scrap the alarm idea all together. Your Jeep already has a passive security system (smart key thingy). Proximity alarms are a pain in the butt in my experience. Honestly, if someone wants something, they will get it, no mater what you do or have. Best advice is don't leave anything worth taking in the Jeep unsecured.

Just my opinion and I delt with many nightmares EARLY on with security systems and issues. Totally not worth it, but I am sure you will get insight from the other side of the spectrum who hopefully had better experiences than I did...
I've heard the same thing with some of the guys I work with, the alarm goes off when a bird lands on it, a person walks buy, stupid reasons. That would probably be my determining factor.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jkjunky
I've heard the same thing with some of the guys I work with, the alarm goes off when a bird lands on it, a person walks buy, stupid reasons. That would probably be my determining factor.
I dont know anyone with an alarm on the jeep...... except the factory stuff
Old 03-17-2009, 11:34 AM
JK Junkie

mine came with a clifford after market remote start/alarm/pager thingy on it ,i have not had any probs with it yet.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by gryph0n

x2 Sounds kinda funny but I use a club on the steering wheel. I know its so 90s but better than nothing.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I really thing than an alarm is useless. Most people don't pay attention to them anymore, they have become more of an urban nuisance than anything else. And most stolen car are towed which will disable the alarm once the car is at an angle.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Joe Lightfoot
x2 Sounds kinda funny but I use a club on the steering wheel. I know its so 90s but better than nothing.
I saw a piece on Dateline where a guy removed a club in less than 10 sec. All you need to do is saw across one side of the steering wheel and remove the club.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a proximity alarm, and yes, it is quite sensitive. But, when leaving the Jeep with the top down in a parking lot, I feel a little bit better.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put Lo Jack on and forget about it, besides thieves like the Rubi boys anyway

Quick Reply: Alarms