Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

2nd Annual Anza Borrego Newbie Run: October 25th

Old 09-26-2008, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, yeah... I know its 2nd Annual. Hopefully since we will not be there on the Jeep Jamboree weekend hopefully there will be fewer people on the trail and we can cover more ground.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toad
UH..I think you need to fix your signature there..unless you bought your JK in the future.

And regarding the run..are you going or are you a maybe?
Actually its a 1980 JK.... I am typoin like crazy... left thumb is bandaged... took a knife to it the other day... if the bone weren't there to stop the blade, I would be a little lighter on the left.

My rock rails are actually on my living room floor, since I don't think I can bear the weight to install them alone... without splitting this damn thing open again...
Old 09-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by james90755
Actually its a 1980 JK.... I am typoin like crazy... left thumb is bandaged... took a knife to it the other day... if the bone weren't there to stop the blade, I would be a little lighter on the left.

My rock rails are actually on my living room floor, since I don't think I can bear the weight to install them alone... without splitting this damn thing open again...
Ouch!

If you need help getting the rails on I can always lend a hand or in your case a thumb... just let me know. I don't mind
Old 09-26-2008, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toad

DAMN! WTF did you do????

Took out my pocket knife to remove a zip tie from something.... I typically put the blade under the tie, then put more of a rotaional force on the blade to pop the tie so the blade doesn't lurch when the tie breaks... somehow it lurched... and by then it was way too late. And of course I caught the interior, serated part of the blade. Picture cutting a Denny's cheap steak with a crappy Denny's steak knife.

It happened in the parking lot just before a meeting. I was quick to apply pressure and it didn't bleed much, so I contemplated just taping it and going into the meeting.. but when I saw bone, I thought it better to have someone look at it. So I drove from Santa Ana to Long Beach and have it looked at. Stitches would have caused problems with the skin flap, so they used string reinforced strips (kinda like butterfly bandages) and glue.... but it appears to be doing well.

(Bringing this back to something more on topic)... I remember thinking on the drive home about what would happen if this happened on a trail. My trail kit carries enough to deal with this level of stupidity, but not too much more. Makes me wonder if I should bulk up a little on the first aid stuff.

The cut was on the side, so there was no nerve, tendon, or muscle damage.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Junkie

Took out my pocket knife to remove a zip tie from something.... I typically put the blade under the tie, then put more of a rotaional force on the blade to pop the tie so the blade doesn't lurch when the tie breaks... somehow it lurched... and by then it was way too late. And of course I caught the interior, serated part of the blade. Picture cutting a Denny's cheap steak with a crappy Denny's steak knife.

It happened in the parking lot just before a meeting. I was quick to apply pressure and it didn't bleed much, so I contemplated just taping it and going into the meeting.. but when I saw bone, I thought it better to have someone look at it. So I drove from Santa Ana to Long Beach and have it looked at. Stitches would have caused problems with the skin flap, so they used string reinforced strips (kinda like butterfly bandages) and glue.... but it appears to be doing well.

(Bringing this back to something more on topic)... I remember thinking on the drive home about what would happen if this happened on a trail. My trail kit carries enough to deal with this level of stupidity, but not too much more. Makes me wonder if I should bulk up a little on the first aid stuff.

The cut was on the side, so there was no nerve, tendon, or muscle damage.
Ouch.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by serveapurpose
Ouch!

If you need help getting the rails on I can always lend a hand or in your case a thumb... just let me know. I don't mind
Thanks for the offer. I am going to try and get the GF to assist since I would like to have her feel more connected to the JK and to Jeepin, but if that doesn't work, I'll let you know.

They need to be on by Anza so I can test the limits of a stock JK. Once on, I don't have to worry about screwing up the body. I don't want to consider having to use the bypasses any more. If I get stuck, I get stuck.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

She loves the nature and the people aspects, but not the camping, the trail dust, and the peeing on the trail. She is also reluctant to take the wheel, but has a few times on the street and at Pismo.

She'll do a good job, but since she's so tiny, herc-ing much weight might be an issue. I guess I'll lift and hold, she can get the nuts on.

The rails install looks real easy... but it seems like there's not enough strength in the connection points so support a lot of bashing or hi-lift jack. We shall see. I guess I will have to trust the Mopar thought things through.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

She'll do a good job, but since she's so tiny, herc-ing much weight might be an issue. I guess I'll lift and hold, she can get the nuts on.

There is a hidden message in there....
Old 09-26-2008, 10:49 AM
JK Junkie

Old 09-26-2008, 12:59 PM
JK Junkie

Mind in the gutter, mind in the gutter