Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

2nd Annual Anza Borrego Newbie Run: October 25th

Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up 2nd Annual Anza Borrego Newbie Run: October 25th

For all you guys and gals in the SoCal area that are looking to do a really fun newbie friendly run, you won't want to miss our 2nd Annual Anza Borreo Coyote Canyon Run this October 25th!!

Located in the Anza Borrego National Park, South Coyote Canyon is a beautiful trail with lots to see and terrain technical enough to keep things fun for seasoned veterans but easy enough to make it perfect for newbies to learn on. Needless to say, anyone and everyone will be welcome to join us on this run regardless of your skill level (or even if it's your very first time out on the trial) or even if your JK is completely stock. However, if you are NOT a newbie, we would ask that you please come in the capacity as a mentor and help out wherever you can. As the title states, this is a trip for newbies and that is what our focus will be on.

As it stands now, the run we will be doing will take place on Saturday, October 25th and for those of you who wish to meet up with us for breakfast, we will be meeting up at the Siggy's Restaurant in Temecula at 8:00 AM:

Siggy's - Temecula Info

For those of you who will be skipping breakfast, we will be meeting up at the Anza Borrego Visitor Center in Borreo Springs at 10:00 AM for a final pitstop with running water and flushing toilets:

Anza Borrego State Park Visitor Center

From there, we will head out to the Lower Coyote Canyon trail head which is located at the end of Di Giorgio Road and go over the basics of airing down tires and disconnecting our sway bar links. The rest of the day from here will be spent on the trail.

Now, I should point out that this is a moderate rated trail but nothing so difficult that any JK equipped with 4WD can't tackle even if you have no lift and are running stock tires. However, we will require that all Jeeps attending this run come equipped with front and rear tow hooks (or receiver hitch in the rear). Also, while we won't make it a requirement, we would highly recommend that you have a CB radio for this run. JK-Forum CB channel: 16

Okay, what you should be sure to bring. While the weather should be some what cooler this time of year, it is still the desert and the sun will still shine hot out during the day. Need I say, make sure that you bring PLENTY of WATER for you and everyone in your Jeep - typically, this would be about a gallon of water a person per day. Also, make sure to pack a lunch, some sun screen, a hat and layers of clothing just in case our run goes into the night.

For those of you who wish to make this into an extended trip, the plan is to set up camp and staying the night over at Sheep Camp. If you would like to join us, we'd love to have you but we would be grateful if you could please let us know. Depending on the size of our group, we may need to get a permit. For those of you who didn't stick around for the camping last year, you know you missed out on one hell of a party so make sure to plan accordingly this time around.

Just as a reminder to everyone, this is a NEWBIE run so we will be going slow, we will be making a lot of stops to take in the scenery/take photos and we will be spending time hanging out just to hang out. If you are looking for a hard core run that you can blow through, this will not be the run for you. Also, I would like to remind everyone that intends to come that while a cold one is something that a lot of us enjoy at the end of the day, drinking alcohol while wheeling is something that we do discourage. Also, the entire lenght of the trail is located within the boundries of a State Park and staying ON the trails is something that we do insist on.

Anyway, if you have any questions and/or are planning to join us on this newbie run, please post a message here to let us know. Also, details may change so please check this first post on a regular basis as specific updates will be made to it.

For now, I leave you with a link to photos from the run we did last year....

1st Annual Anza Borrego Newbie Run 2007 Photos

Hope to see you on the trail!!

The official helper list:

1. WOL/WOLette - camping
2. toad - camping
3. Trail Bud - camping
4. sintaur
5. Rubimon-Camping
6. Offtopic-Camping if she can get her tent set up!
7. Roxster -camping
8. fish - camping
9. Dwikto
10. Evolution - camping
11. artpics

The official newbie list:

1. jdm996s
2. Ogie - camping
3. anim8OR
4. HOMEGLASS
5. Kopsy
6. blazer4949 - camping
7. gregkuiper
8. Gryph0n - camping
9. RedrockX - camping
10. dustjunkie
11. vitaman
12. FlexRig
13. Jeephrog - camping
14. pinchichango - maybe camping
15. Rockd08
16. JOD - camping
17. ADX 08
18. NUCLEAR JK
19. fatboy1271
20. fatboy1271's friend Eric
21. TStrain - camping
22. craigmorrison
23. James90755
24. DVL PUP
25. JLS1983
26. BEACHN JK
27. davidaf
28. Richor

Maybe:

1. doojer
2. Karyn
3. Jeephrog's TJ friend
4. nuckaman
5. SDJK
6. JamesJKB
7. Grathus
8. BlueJ

UPDATE: We will be playing a game on sunday morning and the winner will get an EVO trail table compliments of Off Road Evolution!!

The game is called "Over the Edge". This is a driver/spotter team game and this is how it works....

• Place a frisbee on the ground approx 30 feet in front of Jeep
• Blind fold the driver
• Have spotter direct the driver to the Frisbee and stop on top of it with the driver side rear wheel

THE CATCH
The driver must be a newbie and they cannot touch the frisbe with any other tire. Also, this game is a timed event with a maximum of one minute. Fastest time wins

Last edited by toad; 10-24-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK Sign me Up..... I am not a Newbie but I'd Love to go!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

i miss the desert...
Old 09-10-2008, 10:41 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT. EVIL
OK Sign me Up..... I am not a Newbie but I'd Love to go!!!!!!!
great!! we could really use the help

Originally Posted by toad
The official list:

1. WOL/WOLette
2. SGT EVIL
3. Team toad
thanks toad for starting the list

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
i miss the desert...
well, we just have to move you out here!!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by toad
The official list:

1. WOL/WOLette
2. SGT EVIL
3. Team toad

Yes cant wait!!!!!
Originally Posted by Piginajeep
i miss the desert...
Let me know we can start the application processes anytime.....

[QUOTE=wayoflife;681420]great!! we could really use the help

Just let me know what you need!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm, whats the movie this year??
Old 09-11-2008, 12:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default Sign me up!

OK, I'll jump in as the first token newbie. Looking forward to learning from the masters!

Some way, some how, I just know this is going to scare me,...

John
Old 09-11-2008, 12:32 AM
JK Junkie

The official helper list:

1. WOL/WOLette
2. SGT EVIL
3. Team toad

The official newbie list:

1. jdm996s
Old 09-11-2008, 04:58 AM
JK Super Freak