Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front axle/ driveshaft vibration under 20mph

Old 10-13-2024 | 03:51 AM
JK Newbie

Default Front axle/ driveshaft vibration under 20mph

So i just upgraded my steering system, adjustable feont control arms, steering stabilizer and ball joints and after my alignment there’s almost like a grinding slight vibration and it feels like it’s coming from the axle drive shaft area. It only vibrates unders 20mph accelerating and decelerating but soon as it hits 20mph it’s back to normal. I feel like some of the angles aren’t correct on the alignment but wanted to see if anyone else had these issues!
Old 10-13-2024 | 04:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

what kinda front DS do you have? factory, double cardan? single? what is your caster angle alignment spec after the control arm install? Caster is one of those things that can be a fine line to straddle with an aftermarket shaft.....want it high, but if you get too high the result gets into driveline vibe areas. also, you could pull that front shaft and take a test drive to be 100% certain it is the DS you are feeling.
Old 10-13-2024 | 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
what kinda front DS do you have? factory, double cardan? single? what is your caster angle alignment spec after the control arm install? Caster is one of those things that can be a fine line to straddle with an aftermarket shaft.....want it high, but if you get too high the result gets into driveline vibe areas. also, you could pull that front shaft and take a test drive to be 100% certain it is the DS you are feeling.

not sure what drove shaft probably stock it looks like the caster is 11.0 after alignment
Old 10-13-2024 | 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Old 10-13-2024 | 07:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Braedenberry
WTH!!! you want caster in the 4.5 to 5 degree range. so y, that axle is rotated way backwards which is creating a weird pinion angle. I mean, you have 6 degree caster built into a factory axle, so at 11 degree caster, that pinion is facing DOWN 5 degrees (11 degree caster - 6 degree that is built in = -5 degree pinion angle).

Old 10-13-2024 | 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

WTH!!! you want caster in the 4.5 to 5 degree range. so y, that axle is rotated way backwards which is creating a weird pinion angle. I mean, you have 6 degree caster built into a factory axle, so at 11 degree caster, that pinion is facing DOWN 5 degrees (11 degree caster - 6 degree that is built in = -5 degree pinion angle).

okay that shouldn’t change much if my jeep isn’t stock? I’m on 35’s with a 6 invh lift
Old 10-13-2024 | 10:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

you have a very extreme setup with that much lift and, assuming, a factory axle. you need to target the lowest possible acceptable caster due to the separation between your TC and pinion. anything over 4 degrees should be fine. the lower the caster is, while still being acceptable, is going to make the stress on the DS the least amount.
Old 10-13-2024 | 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

you have a very extreme setup with that much lift and, assuming, a factory axle. you need to target the lowest possible acceptable caster due to the separation between your TC and pinion. anything over 4 degrees should be fine. the lower the caster is, while still being acceptable, is going to make the stress on the DS the least amount.

okay thank you! Gonna take it to a jeep shop in Destin this week and will report back thank you for your help!!
Old Yesterday | 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

yes it was the angle from the front drive shaft. Thanks for your help!
Old Yesterday | 09:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Thanks for following up. Glad you have it resolved now.

Quick Reply: Front axle/ driveshaft vibration under 20mph