Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

add backup camera to RHB 430N radio

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default add backup camera to RHB 430N radio

I recently purchased a preowned 2017 Wrangler JK with RHB 430N radio. I would like to add a backup camera. I have an aftermarket camera from TadiBrothers which I used on my pickup truck and would like to switch it over. I can't find any information about compatibility requirements on the Infotainment website (manufacturer of the RHB 430N). The information I have found at Infotainment has left me with more questions than answers. Has anybody added a camera to this radio and, if so, could you clue me in on what additional hardware modules I will need to add to my radio to make the connection? Also, will I need to have a Jeep dealership flash my Jeep computer system in order for the camera to be recognized by the radio? What is the Genie programmer device that is mentioned on the Infotainment website? Sounds like I could flash the system myself with that device, but is that safe or could it foul up my system somehow?
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the RHB radio in my ‘13 JKU and added an aftermarket backup camera. The “kit” I purchased from Amazon had the mount that goes behind the spare tire, camera, wiring, and two different plugs to go into the back of the radio. Everything went together without a problem, and it only took a few hours to install - most of that was spent neatly running the wiring. Other than the model-specific plug there shouldn’t be any modules necessary, and you can buy the plug separately on Amazon. It will, however, be necessary to “tell” the computer to activate the backup camera, something that is easily done using the JScan app. It will require paying for the subscription (about $20), and you will need an OBDII “dongle” that can be purchased from Amazon (JScan has a list of ones that work on their website). For the price of the subscription and dongle, it will likely be cheaper than taking it to the dealer to be activated, and JScan allows you to make other adjustments (tire size corrections, TPMS adjustments, activating DRLs, etc.) and can also be used for diagnostic purposes.

Quick Reply: add backup camera to RHB 430N radio