Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Chick named helene flooded my JK :/

Old Yesterday, 01:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chick named helene flooded my JK :/

Yes yes I know. Saltwater, etc, totaled, move on. ----- Don't want to. Edit****: I have no insurance other than liability. It's give things a try anyway or off to the scrapyard.

Ok. So like all, I love my JK. 2016 only 17k miles, so hard to replace. Hell would rather swap every part than just total, own it outright. Have no insurance on it, FL too expensive. This is more what 'could' I do to try and save. Nothing to lose.

Had her up on ramps, hurricane helene surprised us all.. the flood surge water level hit right around hood height maybe slightly above. Receded very fast but was in it for about 1-2 hours. It peaked at hood for maybe 20-30 minutes. Didn't unplug battery (didn't expect things to get so insane) - could hear alarm going off for a long bit, then eventually alarm gurgling.

I stayed in the hurricane. So this isn't me coming back a week later. This morning, disconnected battery, didn't attempt to start it. Immediately took freshwater hose and flushed everything. Over and over and over. Engine, interior, underside, all. Sprayed the dash and up and behind a bunch on both sides. Figured at this point it all doesn't matter.. rather just keep rinsing. Opened everything up, and let it air. (checked air filter, oddly fully dry. Dipstick shows no oil at all, but just had an oil change done so very likely a whole other thing)

I'm reading all the threads on what can be done. I don't have the skills/tools to drain my tranny right now etc. I'm looking for some basics on what I can attempt to save it. I know some JKs have gone lake deep and people get em going with 0 issue. Yet yes, this was not freshwater and I understand it'll get in all nooks/crannies and could slowly erode. I can take it to a shop if I can get it there.

So my main question is what do I do if I want to try and save. Will drop in a new battery as it needed it. I'm guessing it'll tell a lot when trying to start and what's the dash shows, what insanity the electrical might do, etc. (which is likely the biggest part) -- Yet do I let it air out for absolutely long as possible? I know I could try and pull plugs and fire out water but I'm not sure if water got that far. Would it get in thru the gas tank cap though? Etc etc. Neighbor had his truck at identical height. Got about halfway up his hid. Same thing his alarm started tripping, etc. He aired it all out, jumped it and drove away this afternoon.

Last edited by bobbobobbo; Yesterday at 10:35 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Going to be issues with that forever being a salt dunk. Better to salvage it and move on. Don't know what to advise otherwise other than strip it down to how it started at the factory. One idea bodywise though is to get a product called Rust Check or Krown Rust Control into it. They spray it everywhere inside and outside panels, doors, rockers, chassis etc. That will reverse the salt effects. Electronics? - we all know what we think of Jeep electrical gremlins, then there is the dash and interior. (see my second sentence)
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Going to be issues with that forever being a salt dunk. Better to salvage it and move on. Don't know what to advise otherwise other than strip it down to how it started at the factory. One idea bodywise though is to get a product called Rust Check or Krown Rust Control into it. They spray it everywhere inside and outside panels, doors, rockers, chassis etc. That will reverse the salt effects. Electronics? - we all know what we think of Jeep electrical gremlins, then there is the dash and interior. (see my second sentence)
Thanks. Right. Issues mainly being electrical corrosion I'm guessing?
Will absolutely look into the rust/krown control.
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

With Krownor RC they can spray everywhere under hood etc etc as it does not damage electrical. You will have to replace or repair instrument cluster anyway. Lots of work.
Old Yesterday, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 409 Likes on 384 Posts

Sixty is on point.. any water that gets into the vehicle above the seats is going to be a corrosion nightmare and an ongoing find it .. fix it.. 99% probability that Comprehensive coverage is going to result in Total Loss..
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

I've seen some come back from dunking their entire jeeps in a lake. Many threads actually. This is saltwater yes.. but at least trying to start there. Then see what the remaining salt corrodes/funks.

So I suppose still curious if anyone has advice other than 'it's totaled', as I get that part .
Just check for water in the cylinders and try to start it up?

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Sixty is on point.. any water that gets into the vehicle above the seats is going to be a corrosion nightmare and an ongoing find it .. fix it.. 99% probability that Comprehensive coverage is going to result in Total Loss..
Right. --- No insurance or coverage on it.

Quick Reply: Chick named helene flooded my JK :/