Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2010 JK Unlimited rear axle shudder

Old Today, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 JK Unlimited rear axle shudder

Hey all,
Just picked up a 2010 JK Ultimate Sahara with 140k wiles 3.8l auto trans so I don't know the history of it. As seen in the attached video, I have a shudder in the rear axle in 2WD only when accelerating anything more than a mild launch. It drives normal otherwise at any speed or shifting. There is no other unusual noises out of the rear end other than the shudder. I replaced the stock driveshaft with a double cardan driveshaft and also replaced the rear shocks. I also pulled the trans pan and changed filter and fluid. I didn't find anything unusual in the pan or old fluid. The shudder is still present but seems to have decreased somewhat. Here is the jeep's setup as far as I can tell: 4" ProComp lift. Dana 44 limited slip rear axle. 3:73 ratio. 35" Nitto tires. Measured about 1 degree rear pinion angle. Next step is to pull the rear diff cover and take a look around. I'm sure the clutches for the LSD are shot but don't think that would cause this issue.
Attached Files
File Type: mpeg
Shudder.mpeg (2.37 MB, 2 views)
Old Today, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 477 Likes on 428 Posts

Welcome to JKF. Your issue with my estimate is driveshaft angle and that horrible lift height. 4" is not even required for 37" tires!! You need about 4-5 degrees down on the pinion angle. Not sure if you have adjustable control arms but for me it was simple as I have MC lowers. Also seems like a lot of diff wind up there for a 3.8 and the specified gear ratio. Don't forget to grease the center zerk on the CV every 3500miles or so. I do mine mid-point between oil changes as the Chev goes 12000kms oil change.

Quick Reply: 2010 JK Unlimited rear axle shudder