Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Diff and Axles are kaput

Old Today, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Diff and Axles are kaput

Salutations all.

So earlier this year my dad and I were moving me back to my hometown, while my dad was on his way home there was a grinding sound and then a bang. When taken to a shop we were informed that our front differential and axles would need replacing, they wanted to charge 7,000 just for parts. I am a newer Jeep owner/enthusiast so I have no idea if this is a fair price point or not, sounds like the latter since our transmission rebuild ran about the same. So I figure with the appropriate mentoring and learning here I can either learn to pick the parts up and make the swap myself(ideal) or at least figure out a fairish pricepoint to chase off scummy shops.

Additionally, this is my daily driver and having it down is a big strain on me and my dad, would there be a way to pull the differential and axles and just run it in 2wd until I can get it all figured out? If so, how might I go about doing so?

Jeep is a 2013 wrangler, I will get more info when I get home tonight and post an edit.

Appreciate any advice and tips!
Old Today, 07:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Well, first off, $7k seems beyond stupid, but we have very little information here. Is this is rubicon or a sport/sahara? did shop explain what happened? could be one of several things, the biggest being that the ring and pinion gears blew up, but also could be that just the spider gears in an open carrier (sport/sahara) blew up. probalby guessing we're talking ring/pinion here or maybe everything. Is the differential housing itself damaged at all? is this factory gearing in the axle still? do you know what gearing you have? for example, if it's 3.21 gearing it would be super easy and cheap to source a used axle and have it be plug and play. if aftermarket gearing, a bit more complicated. if axle housing is damaged, a bit more complicated. there are a lot of variables here....including location.
The following users liked this post:
PotatoKing8888 (Today)

Quick Reply: Front Diff and Axles are kaput