Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2015 auto transmission dash position / shifter issue

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2015 auto transmission dash position / shifter issue

Hi guys,
The dash shows transmission in in Reverse but the shifter is in Park. I'm not able to move the shifter or crank. I bypassed the brake lock to the shifter (the green lever) and moved it to all positions a few times. I was able to crank on Neutral and start the jeep. Once it got warm I turn it off/on, it was gone, but came back a few more times. I drove it home but the transmission kept slipping into neutral intermittently.

- I've checked the shifter cable (both transmission end and shifter end) and re-adjusted it. I don't know if there is another segment that can be checked.
- I've checked the park lock cable (both ignition and shifter end). self calibrating according to repair manual. (solenoid works fine on the brake lock)
- Checked all the electrical connectors to the shifter, there is a power connection that seems to only power the LED, there are 3 other connectors , 1 is for the manual shift level operation, I don't know what the other 2 connectors do but I'm assuming they are switches to indicate the shifter position.
- I scanned the code, I have 3 codes
U0404 - implausible data received from ESM
P0710 - Transmission Temperature sensor circuit
U0103 - Lost communication with electric gear shift module.

I checked the fluid levels and temps of transmission, no issues there. Transmission is smooth and no grinding or harsh operation. I'm convinced this is an electrical problem or a shifter problem more than a mechanical problem with the transmission or bushings. I researched the forums a lot but there is no fix posted, some instances of ESM or TIPM on their way out but that accompanied with blown fuses and some other weird symptoms like door lock and wiper operation.
ESM, TIPM and shifter is insanely expensive and I don't want to start replacement before figuring out the room cause.

has anybody encountered similar issue,what was the fix, or any more diagnostic tips.

Quick Reply: 2015 auto transmission dash position / shifter issue