Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2013 JK overheating

Old 09-15-2024, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 JK overheating

I know there's a billion posts already about this but here's what I have.

2013 JK sport, 108,000 miles. Had for about 3 months had no overheating issues until recently.

Have changed oil cooler, temp sensor, thermostat, radiator. Fan comes on as it should, jeep does not overheat at idle but starts to climb at about 60 plus mph will go back down when i slow down.

Jeep is stock but has 35s, again it only started to climb in temp before when I would go up a hill as expected but recently it's doing it every drive. AC works, heat works, no leaks, no blockages to radiator. No noises or sounds coming from motor, fan or front at all.

Someone please give me a fix

Last edited by kspearsopd; 09-15-2024 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2024, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How hot is overheating? What is outside temp? Have you tried bleeding it, probably not it but too easy to not give it a try. Bleed it when it’s warm and there is some pressure in the system, not when scalding hot though.
What kind of radiator? Is the radiator cap venting? In other words bubbling in the expansion tank?
The following users liked this post:
kspearsopd (09-16-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 04:55 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

guess we gotta start with the very basic question.....when you remove the radiator cap in the morning when the engine is cool, is it full to the top as it should be? trying to confirm with 100% certainty there is zero air in the system. also, what are you judging your temp by, digital readout from the computer or just the dummy dash needle?
The following users liked this post:
kspearsopd (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by a64pilot
How hot is overheating? What is outside temp? Have you tried bleeding it, probably not it but too easy to not give it a try. Bleed it when it’s warm and there is some pressure in the system, not when scalding hot though.
What kind of radiator? Is the radiator cap venting? In other words bubbling in the expansion tank?

Over the 3/4 line and has occasionally turned on the the warning light for overheating, outside temp is roughly in the 70s to 80s...is cooler now than it was when it did not go above the half line previously...has been bled, new radiator was an OEM radiator from dealership, i will attempt again later while warm. Radiator cap was new as well but will recheck as well
Old 09-16-2024, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
guess we gotta start with the very basic question.....when you remove the radiator cap in the morning when the engine is cool, is it full to the top as it should be? trying to confirm with 100% certainty there is zero air in the system. also, what are you judging your temp by, digital readout from the computer or just the dummy dash needle?
full when opening, and reservoir is still at max, both radiator lines hot after running, using the dash readout but I think I'm going to attempt a thermal reader when I open the hood the engine does not seem to be overly hot it's just when driving and when I slow down or stop or idle it goes to the half mark at regular temp
Old 09-16-2024, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 405 Likes on 380 Posts

COLD (after overnight) is the top hose collapsed? It the bottom hose very firm.. If the top hose is collapsing COLD .. YOU Got AIR in the system and if the bottom is mushy ..AIR.. Check out "Burping" on youtube.
Old Yesterday, 03:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never used one, but apparently there are some type of vacuum systems for bleeding air from cooling systems.
Before you warp your heads etc it may be worth biting the bullet and taking it to a shop that’s equipped with whatever this system is.
I don’t think they are complex or expensive so maybe buy one. I have never seen one but suspect it may be similar to a coolant system pressure tester which isn’t very expensive.
Amazon has kits for about $25 to $100. I just looked
I have no experience but maybe someone who has can chime in with a recommendation,
I do have experience with overheating from air, what happens is the water pump gets a bubble and cavitates of course because it’s not an air pump, coolant flow stops or slows and you overheat. I had to bleed my jeep twice to get all the air out, after the first bleed I started it up and it began to overheat and I had to re-bleed, the second time not much air came out but temps came back to normal.
I thought I had it bled very well the first time because I was letting the water run out of the bleed screw whike I was pouring coolant in because I had flushed the system, but apparently after running the engine it required a second bleed to get the rest of the air.
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 405 Likes on 380 Posts

Before going to a shop.. check this kit: http://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Radiato...ps%2C85&sr=8-2..

If you do burp, be sure the Front of your Jeep is elevated higher than the rear and get it to full operating temp.. When I did mine several years ago I had the Jscan connected and temp was in the 205 degree range.. I got all the air out No Probs since.

Quick Reply: 2013 JK overheating