Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2016 Wrangler 3.6 Tick

Old 09-08-2024, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Wrangler 3.6 Tick

I recently bought a 2016 Wrangler. I noticed that the engine has a tick on the driver side. I have been reading a lot about Pentastar lifter tick. Does this sound like the dreaded lifter tick?

Engine Tick

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-09-2024, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

I can't listen here at work, but I'd always tell anybody that if you THINK there's a tick, then there is certainly a problem. . The sooner it's opened up the better. If you are a DIY'er, this is not a terrible job. It is such a common issue on this 3.6L, and there is not a whole lot else that is going to be making a ticking noise in the valvetrain cept maybe an actual valve issue, but that is not a common thing for us.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I can't listen here at work, but I'd always tell anybody that if you THINK there's a tick, then there is certainly a problem. . The sooner it's opened up the better. If you are a DIY'er, this is not a terrible job. It is such a common issue on this 3.6L, and there is not a whole lot else that is going to be making a ticking noise in the valvetrain cept maybe an actual valve issue, but that is not a common thing for us.
Copy that, thanks. That's kind of what I figured. Guess I was in denial lol. Guess I'll be opening up the valve cover. Hopefully the cam isn't trashed.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

If you have not found them yet, Motor City Mechanic has some great videos on YouTube that will walk you through the whole process. He's also got a good video that will show you what is an acceptable cam to reuse and what is not. I had to dig into my driver's side recently and that cam had some good scoring on it, but was still re-useable. It's all about catching things in time really.

I've got a thread here in case it helps -
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...k-tick-357513/
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (09-09-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

If you have not found them yet, Motor City Mechanic has some great videos on YouTube that will walk you through the whole process. He's also got a good video that will show you what is an acceptable cam to reuse and what is not. I had to dig into my driver's side recently and that cam had some good scoring on it, but was still re-useable. It's all about catching things in time really.

Awesome, thanks. I will definitely check out those videos and your thread!
Old 09-09-2024, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

YES I ended up replacing the engine
Old 09-09-2024, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

Hmm.. My valve covers are so accessible right now I'm thinking of just doing this preemptively. I checked all my stored codes and I never had a misfire, but I might have to kick myself if I ignored this opportunity and it started ticking in 5000 miles. I have 167k on the clock now so it doesn't seem outrageous to spend a couple hundred bucks extra and get in there while it's easy. Then again, if it ain't broke? Great info in that thread and the videos.
Old 09-10-2024, 05:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
Hmm.. My valve covers are so accessible right now I'm thinking of just doing this preemptively. I checked all my stored codes and I never had a misfire, but I might have to kick myself if I ignored this opportunity and it started ticking in 5000 miles. I have 167k on the clock now so it doesn't seem outrageous to spend a couple hundred bucks extra and get in there while it's easy. Then again, if it ain't broke? Great info in that thread and the videos.
I'd typically say go with the "if it ain't broke" theory here; however, do you have the battery box out of the way on the passenger side? If so, that might be one thing that would make me suggest just do it all. If not, I'd just wait. Only my opinion. I've removed that passenger side VC enough times to know it's just wasted effort to try and do it with the battery box there. I've seen that it can be done, but it's so much more effort, and that passenger side VC is such a PITA already due to the PCV and the firewall. There's just not much room to maneuver things. The real problem is that if you do that, why stop there? just go ahead and remove that timing cover and rebuild the timing too.....167k is starting to get up there!
Old 09-10-2024, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

I'd typically say go with the "if it ain't broke" theory here; however, do you have the battery box out of the way on the passenger side? If so, that might be one thing that would make me suggest just do it all. If not, I'd just wait. Only my opinion. I've removed that passenger side VC enough times to know it's just wasted effort to try and do it with the battery box there. I've seen that it can be done, but it's so much more effort, and that passenger side VC is such a PITA already due to the PCV and the firewall. There's just not much room to maneuver things. The real problem is that if you do that, why stop there? just go ahead and remove that timing cover and rebuild the timing too.....167k is starting to get up there!
Yeah everything is out but the engine. So I can tilt it forward and back, it's real easy to get in. I landed on pulling the valve covers to inspect. If anything looks amiss, I'll start replacing stuff. If not, I'll do the seals and call it good.
Old 09-10-2024, 06:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
Yeah everything is out but the engine. So I can tilt it forward and back, it's real easy to get in. I landed on pulling the valve covers to inspect. If anything looks amiss, I'll start replacing stuff. If not, I'll do the seals and call it good.
If you've never replaced that PCV valve, probably good time to do so just as preventative maintenance as well. That thing is such a pain to access on this 3.6L. I've removed my passenger side VC enough that this last time I finally had it with that dumb "fuel line" bracket that goes over the cover. I know it has nothing to do with the fuel lines, but I believe that is what the parts catalog refers to it as. Anyhow, I cut that mofo in half so it's still there, but it really only attaches via the 2 bolts up by the intake and the 2 bolts that are down on the underside of the head are no longer used. Little things like that drive me insane. I looked hard at the bracket on the drivers side that the upper intake bolts to, and which blocks removing the valve cover, but I ended up leaving that bracket in there. I really question how much support that really provides for the intake manifold. I have aftermarket fender liners so they are pretty quick to yank off to access the lower bolts to that particular bracket, but again, it's one of those things that aggravates me to remove to get the VC off.

Heck Justin.....have you replaced all the wire loom in your engine bay yet? LOL, I could keep adding to your to-do list!

Quick Reply: 2016 Wrangler 3.6 Tick