Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Not Charging

Old 08-25-2024, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not Charging

Hello everyone. 2010 JK Rubicon, fairly stock with no electrical modifications with 99K miles.. I had planned on getting the alternator rebuilt due to a bearing whine. Unfortunately, before I had a chance, it died on the way home. At this point the battery light had come on and the battery was dead. I replaced the battery and drove it about 500ft home. I pulled the alternator and I had it rebuilt. Put it all back together, but the battery is not charging. Pulled the alternator and new battery and had them tested and both test good. Checked grounds with my meter, checked lead from alternator to battery and it passes visual and continuity, connections are clean and tight. I measure 11.2 volts directly from the alternator to ground which is what I see at the battery as well. I have a scanner that can see voltage and it reads a similar voltage. The voltage doesn't change with RPM. The belt tension is good. At this point I'm thinking it's time for a new computer, but wanted to see what others may suggest.

Thank you!
Old 08-28-2024, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The alternator output is indeed regulated by the TIPM. Sounds like the computer is not sending signal to excite alternator.

https://www.underhoodservice.com/chryslers-totally-integrated-power-module-tipm-simplifies-circuits/
Old 09-02-2024, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

Just a quick follow up. It ended up being a bad PCM. I sent it off for repair and received it back all in the same week. I had an opportunity to put it in today and all is well.

Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Sandau (09-02-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 01:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much did the repair cost?
Old 09-07-2024, 05:33 AM
JK Newbie

Right around $400. Circuit Board Medics were very easily to work with, shipped it on Tuesday had it back in my hand Friday afternoon.
The following 3 users liked this post by Keeplookingup:
3.slow (09-12-2024), JimWPB (09-10-2024), Sandau (09-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Not Charging