Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New member. New to jeeps. ? On lifts for a 2010 jk 4 door

Old 08-16-2024, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member. New to jeeps. ? On lifts for a 2010 jk 4 door

Recently purchased a 2010 wrangler unlimited 4 door.
I would like to add a lift a tires to it for hunting.
Have my eyes on the rc 3.5 “ lift. If purchased. Does the lift come with everything needed to have proper drive train angles a such . I’m wanting to run 35” a/t tires. Without any major rubbing. Is there another lift I can run an achieve the same tire size. Any info would be appreciate. New to jeeps so trying to figure it out.
Old 08-16-2024, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts

Are you set on lifting it? You can fit 35s without too much effort at stock height. I ran that way for a long time and I have a buddy with a 4-door who is still stock height on 35s. Might be all you need to throw on wheels and tires and trim the rear pinch seam a bit.
The following users liked this post:
D.cain83 (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

I do want a small lift on it nothing massive. It has a cheap eBay 2.5-3” lift on it now that came on it when purchased. I want to take that off and do a true spring lift. It has a lil bit of road walk in it. Wanting to try an correct that. I won’t be doing anything crazy off-roading. Lil woods riding n the hunting club. No major flexing it at all and no rock climbing .
Old 08-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts

Sounds good! I can't comment on the RC lift, but I'm sure someone can.
Old 08-17-2024, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I'll comment on the 3.5 RC lift. It's about the worst lift you could possibly get on the market IMO. They sure sell a lot of them in the big box stores, and then people have to go to the forums to seek out all the issues they're having.

You've kinda contradicted yourself in saying that you wanted to get that RC 3.5" lift, but then say you don't want to do rock crawling, major flexing, or crazy offroading. A 3.5" lift is very aggressive on a wrangler, and higher is not better unless that is just what is required to fit the tire you want to run. All you're doing is creating higher center of gravity and making it very hard to keep acceptable caster with a factory axle. A quality 2.5" lift is a nice pairing with 35" tires, though most 2.5" springs will net you more lift than that. Caster correction will be the big thing with any lift you do. I'd guess right now your caster is pretty low with that current lift.

When you say it has a "cheap ebay lift" on it right now, are you just talking about a budget boost with spacers on top of the factory springs?

When you're looking at lifts, keep in mind that additional big things to consider or budget for are ball joints (big tires can eat up factory or cheap ones), caster corrections (adjustable control arms or control arm brackets), and possibly new driveshafts. If you go 3.5" then you're getting into high-steer kits (drag link flips) as well. All the ticket charges start to add up when you do it "right".

You might browse the other kits out there and ask questions. Look at the Metalcloak 2.5" lift offerings as comparison to others. I'm not a huge AEV fan myself, but for what you have explained their 2.5" lift might be a good fit for you. I don't think that one comes with control arm brackets so factor those in if you look at it (another $125 or so).
Old 08-17-2024, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Basically all I will be doing with it is hunting out of it. A some light trail riding/mud riding In the hunting club in the off season. I’ve looked around and noticed I can add a 2.5 lift an clear 35’s. Looking into a spring lift with shocks. In a budget of course. Yes it does have a eBay puck lift I would call it. Again with RC is the 2.5 spring /coil lift very good. And you mentioned a bracket I would need to get. I’m new to jeeps an trying to figure this thing out. I plan to add bumpers for looks but also want to add a winch on the front bumper for security reason if I’m out n the woods alone. I can get myself out hopefully. The jeep will not be a daily driver. At most 6k miles a year. Mostly during hunting season or if the kids want to get out an ride some
thanks for any help given.
Old 08-18-2024, 05:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Those RC shocks are pretty junky as well. I'd seriously go with just about any other brand of lift paired with a decent shock. I would not go with pro comp shocks, skyjacker shocks, or rough country shocks. The Metalcloak rocksport shocks are good, Fox and Bilsteins are good options, ranchos are good options, not a huge fan of teraflex but still better than the 3 above. Heck, not a fan of rubicon express but I think they are better than the 3 above too. Shocks are going to be a decent part of any lift kit price.

I look at it like this. most springs are springs. they hold the jeep up. sure, you can get into dual-rate, triple-rate....whatever, the spring is holding the jeep up and if you're not needing to max your articulation for more technical offroading, then the spring is not going to make a huge difference. Your shocks on the other hand are going to have a big impact on the ride quality, and the quality of the shock is going to have a huge impact on longevity. Other than those two components, the difference in kits on the market come down to the small things such as quality of fitment of the other parts included like bracketry, or actual brake lines vs. $10 brackets that lower your factory brake lines, or actual caster correction vs. $15 cam bolts. As in most of life, the small details matter most.

When lifting the jeep and adding big tires, the more important aspects to address are quality of steering components and geometry, caster angle specifically. The weight of larger tires will add additional stress to everything in the steering system (balls joints the biggest issue) and the lower caster when lifting will result in low-quality, flightier steering. There are a lot of videos on YouTube about caster with life vehicles if you don't have a great understanding of that concept.

I guess my point here is it's way more important to give these issues some attention than it is a specific spring or not, which takes me back to the idea that the shock you use has a big impact and therefore you should not buy a lift kit with a crappy shock in it.
D.cain83 (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Ok so I did go ahead and purchase the RC 2.5 inch lift.
Coils/shocks
So I can run 35’s ,from what I’ve read on the forums. Now Would I still need to add the drop bracket or the front lower control arms? To correct the caster /pinion angles? Again I’m not trying to go to Moab, the Carolina’s, etc to do any hardcore riding. The most severe riding I will be doing is in the northern part of Louisiana. Mostly mud not many big hills. So a crazy amount of flex I’m not concerned about. Just looking for the best affordable suspension for my needs without breaking the bank. Crazy I know right. I could upgrade my shocks later with the rc 2.5 lift a still active what I’m looking for correct .
Old 08-20-2024, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 401 Likes on 376 Posts

Most 2.5" lifts will not include the Geometry Correction Brackets... I am a user and supporter of GEO Brackets to get the control arms back close to the OE levels and the Caster back or close to OE Specs.. On ours we run RANCHO Geometry Correction Brackets..Why.. they are welded not bolted together and have different positions for control arm connections based on the Lift being used. Just my 2 cents worth.
D.cain83 (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Agree.....a nice set of control arm brackets will make pavement life much nicer. the angle of the control arms will flatten back out to provide a factory-type ride, and you'll be able to rotate the axle back to regain the caster you lost in the lift. The small bit of ground clearance you lose at the frame rails is not relevant for your use.
D.cain83 (08-20-2024)

Quick Reply: New member. New to jeeps. ? On lifts for a 2010 jk 4 door