Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

stock JK radiator with v8 swap?

Old 08-13-2024, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default stock JK radiator with v8 swap?

So, 2014 JKU with a 5.9 Magnum swap. I'm using the OE 5.9 HD Hayden clutch fan and modified OE 3.8 fan shroud. My 5.9 isn't built for max power - just a solid truck engine with a bit bigger truck cam, stock manifolds, Holley 2bbl Sniper, etc.

The theoretical question of 'will a stock Wrangler 3.8 radiator cool a V8' is still out there...and I wanted to ask if anyone has retained a stock JK radiator after a v8 swap, and how is it working out?

Apparently a JL 392 radiator is nearly identical in size to a JK 3.8 radiator...which really begs the question. To help enable the stock 3.8 radiator to cool my v8 I'm mounting the trans cooler behind the t-case, no A/C, so the radiator will 'only' have to cool the engine.

Ideally, if I need a replacement radiator I want to be able to just go to the nearest parts store and get one - easy - no custom radiators or waiting for one to be built/arrive. To that end, if necessary I'll install an engine oil cooler to enable the OE stock 3.8 radiator to to the job in the worst of conditions, like Moab in the summer.

So, who's done a JK v8 swap and retained the stock radiator...and how's it working out?

Thanks

Last edited by Mad-Max; 08-13-2024 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-14-2024, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 474 Likes on 425 Posts

In my case with a 2016 Chev 5.3LT Direct Injected I use the 3.8 rad that was in the Jeep prior to install. 100F days slow wheeling no issues and stays at 190F. Highway cruising at 75mph no issues either. Hint: turf the carb and do the Megasquirt junkyard FI and distributorless system. Friend had a 440 Roadrunner that had 587HP and diid about 8-10mpg then did the same with Megasquirt. After some playing around they got 21mpg and another 50HP out of it on the same dyno. He used a Jeep cam positioner, Ford Taurus tone ring, Chev LS fuel rails and injectors sized to suit and a Holley TB with Megasquirt Software.
The following users liked this post:
Mad-Max (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for the info - it's very helpful . Where do you have your trans cooler?

No carb on mine - 2bbl Sniper is awesome

- Sam

Last edited by Mad-Max; 08-15-2024 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: stock JK radiator with v8 swap?