Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

ABS and ESC issues

Old 08-12-2024, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS and ESC issues

2015, 51,000 miles, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

So, in the last few days, ABS and ESC lights have been coming on and off together. They also go off when I hit a bump. Twice, I have heard the, what sounds like the anti lock kicking in even though the road was dry and I wasn't braking.

Is there a recall on this ??? 51,000 miles isn't a lot.

My computer reader is a cheapy, so it doesn't show ABS stuff, apparently, as there were no codes. Any recommendations for a better one ? Some even show graphical ABS data ? Too many decisions.

I was overdue for a tire rotation, so took it in to do:-

Tire rotation
Check the pads
Inspect for loose wiring or connections, corrosion, dirt, grease etc. on the sensors etc.

They came back with...

ABS DIAG. LR ABS sensor is bad, ABS hydralic unit is bad, ABS computer appears to be working good.

They say I have to go to the Jeep dealer.

A bit leery of that. Looked at the Fuse system and pulled fuse J6 as I don't want the ABS to kick in at random, or worse release the brakes.

What about J7 ???

So my options seem to be:-

Take it to the Jeep dealer

Take the time to look at it myself and get the parts and install, or take it to a non Jeep dealer that can install the parts. (There is one local).

All opinions welcomed.
Old 08-12-2024, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyeveryday
Is there a recall on this ??? 51,000 miles isn't a lot.
Electrical things don't care about mileage. Got 9+ years on all that wiring and components now.

Best thing you can do if you plan to own that for a little while, is get the JScan app and pay $20 for the license. Then buy one of the approved BT dongles off AMZN. For ~$45 you will have a very dynamic programmer and diagnostic tool. You definitely need something that will read data from all the different computer modules.

If you have confidence that the left rear ABS sensor is bad, I'd replace that with a new factory sensor before doing anything else. I would not worry about the other items until that was replaced, all codes cleared and problems still persist. If you can avoid the dealer, do so at all costs.
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (08-13-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks resharp001.

Looking into it now.

Old 08-13-2024, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Ordered. Should be here Thursday.

Just had another issue. It didn't change gear. I had to manually make it. Twice so far. Is this related or a sign of something else.
Old 08-13-2024, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

The ABS module in the computer can throw things that will then start affecting the transmission module, so I would guess that is related, but hard to tell till get scanner and can dig into what the computer is logging.

With the Jscan, you're going to have access to all of the computer's modules so you'll be able to see all codes, and will be able to monitor all sorts of live data fields in real-time.
Old 08-27-2024, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry about the late update. Some other failures happened. Being tested I guess.

So, got a Vgate icar pro for $32.

OBD Jscan license for $25.

$57 total. What a deal. The amount of information it gives is amazing.

ABS LR bad data.

ABS hydraulic voltage 25.5V low.

Ordered the sensor. pack of Two $20.

Started the project on Sunday the 18th.

First problem was getting the Red locking clip out. Sprayed it and finally got it out.

Trying to get the plug off the sensor was even worse. Used a tool from a door panel popper and managed to get it either side, plus pulling and it finally came out.

One of my suspicions was corrosion and one pin was corroded. So the female side was also likely corroded. Use contact cleaner and a similar sized wire to clean it. Installed.

Both message cleared and after deleting the codes, the ABS and ESC lights went off.

Test drive and all is good.

One thing I noticed about the Jscan.

Tried the advanced scan and it shows the LR ABS error.

Yet when I try for codes nothing is there, and when I try the first scan, it says no errors. Is the advanced holding onto a previous fault indication, or is it just a bug ?

NOTE: Just tried it again. The Advanced no longer shows the ABS error.

Lights never came back on, now it's the 27th, so 9 days and no further issues.

Thanks resharp001 for the advice. Much appreciated,

Last edited by sunnyeveryday; 08-27-2024 at 02:14 PM.
Jay2013jk (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 03:20 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

That is great news! I honestly can't imagine owning one of these rigs without a good diagnostics tool, and as you see, that doesn't mean you have to spend a lot of money! The diagnostics and live data alone are worth it, and if you use any of the programming features that is just icing on the cake. I have an XTool D8 scan tool that runs around $600, and I love that thing too cuz I have a lot of used cars in the family. The Jscan is ALMOST just as good for the jeep specifically if that tells you anything. In some ways it's better cuz of the programming. The only thing you lack with Jscan vs. a more "pro-model" mainly comes down to bi-directional capabilities. Great deal though.

On the advanced scan before, it might have been picking up the code as "permanent" still which requires the vehicle to reset it via several restarts without the code coming back. You'll typically see these codes stored as "generic", which you can clear and which will turn the light off, or "permanent" which the vehicle will clear on it's own as long as the condition does not flag the light again.
Jay2013jk (08-27-2024)

Quick Reply: ABS and ESC issues