Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

TPMS reaing the wrong tire locations after rotation

Old 08-11-2024, 01:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default TPMS reading the wrong tire locations after rotation

I rotated the tires for the first time on my new to me 2017 JKUR. I did a standard rearward cross five tire rotation. After rotating the tires I got a TPMS warning light and no pressure reading for the left front. I drove the Jeep for more than 800 miles without the issue resolving. Just did some diagnostics and found out that the system is reading the tire pressure from the left front (which used to be the left rear) as the left rear still. The actual left rear isn't being read as any position. The tire that was on the left front originally is now the spare and the spare is on the right rear (and reading correctly).

I'm totally stumped as how to fix this. I know both front wheel wells has TPMS receivers so I have no idea how this even happens. The read only has one receiver and the computer is supposed to use the process of elimination to ID the last location but obviously mine is deranged.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks

Last edited by OpenTrackRacer; 08-11-2024 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2024, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer
I rotated the tires for the first time on my new to me 2017 JKUR. I did a standard rearward cross five tire rotation. After rotating the tires I got a TPMS warning light and no pressure reading for the left front. I drove the Jeep for more than 800 miles without the issue resolving. Just did some diagnostics and found out that the system is reading the tire pressure from the left front (which used to be the left rear) as the left rear still. The actual left rear isn't being read as any position. The tire that was on the left front originally is now the spare and the spare is on the right rear (and reading correctly).

I'm totally stumped as how to fix this. I know both front wheel wells has TPMS receivers so I have no idea how this even happens. The read only has one receiver and the computer is supposed to use the process of elimination to ID the last location but obviously mine is deranged.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks
Hi "OTR"... Try this old trick... I use it every week and it has never failed to give me an accurate tire location or pressure reading... (Just a "little humor"!)

Old 08-11-2024, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SAR-1
Hi "OTR"... Try this old trick... I use it every week and it has never failed to give me an accurate tire location or pressure reading... (Just a "little humor"!)

If I can't resolve this I'll be disabling the TPMS system instead of screwing with it any further.
The following users liked this post:
SAR-1 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 400 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer
If I can't resolve this I'll be disabling the TPMS system instead of screwing with it any further.
If all are reading PSI.. When 1 goes down break out the dependable guage shown previously. BTW.. I've had mine off when I could not get system to go to 27psi after the chalk test settings; that way for 3 yrs now.

Quick Reply: TPMS reaing the wrong tire locations after rotation