Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Key fob working sporadically

Old 08-02-2024, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob working sporadically

Hey all! I have a weird issue going on and hope someone can help.
The remote locks on my 2010 JK recently started working sporadically. Sometimes they work from the fob, but it's a guessing game. It's not the remote fobs themselves. I have two and tested both of them with the same results. It's not a locking module because I have remote start app that also let's me control the locks and locate my Jeep. If I walk up to it and the fob doesn't work, I can open it most of the time with my phone. That does fail once in a while too but not very often. If all else fails, I have to use the keys and set off the alarm which is quite annoying.
Is there a specific module somewhere that controls the remote locks?
Any thoughts?
Thank you.
Old 08-02-2024, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, I don't have a direct answer to your question. But I do have a few more questions to present that may be useful for you to consider.

Was the remote start a dealer installed option?

If not, do you have access to the installation instructions?

Was ECM programming involved in the upgrade? if so, were troubleshooting instructions included?

I recently found that a TPMS programming tool I fooled with had a function that allowed you to check the strength of a signal from a car remote. While it seems unlikely that both of your remotes would behave badly at the same time, testing them might still be useful as a double check. I suspect that shops who do tire work or key programming would likely have similar test tools. It might be worth a few phone calls.
Old 08-04-2024, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jim. Those are all good thoughts.
The remote start is aftermaket. It was installed about four years ago and hasn't been touched recently.
I thought about taking the fobs to Batteries Plus. I think they have a signal tester. I may still do that if I can't figure this out.
I'm exploring a new revelation. This problem started after I had the doors off and put them back on. I had the front doors off again and the remote seemed to work (for the back doors and gate). I only had them off for a few hours so I need to do a longer study. I'm going to pull them again for a few days and see if the connection there is causing the problem. I did try to make sure the co section was better when I put them back on, but I'm having problems again.
To be continued...

Quick Reply: Key fob working sporadically