Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Replacement Fenders? Experience?

Old 08-01-2024, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Replacement Fenders? Experience?

I'm considering replacing my 2011 two door fenders...I've "restored" them a couple times, looks great at first, but quickly fades to gray again in a couple months. Anybody have experience with these? I'd either install or have a body shop install:

Old 08-01-2024, 08:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

What product have you been using? Have you tried using Penetrol Flood? That seems to hold up pretty good.
Old 08-01-2024, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used Mothers Back to Black. I'll give Penetrol a try. Again, it worked for six months, then three months, and now might last a month. I'm looking for a 2 year+ solution.
Old 08-01-2024, 09:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Y, I've used mother's back to black before. it's looks fine at first and then doesn't last. There are some decent videos on YouTube about Pentrol. there's a guy that does a good test of that vs. boiled linseed oil and he gives a nice 1-year update (think it was on a ford ranger). For $8-10 for a can of the stuff it's not bad IMO. The one thing i spot about the Crown fenders you posted above is they are "smooth". Makes me think they wouldn't have that texture the factory black ones have, which is not an issue if you plan to paint, but might not be great if leaving em necked.

I've used the Pentrol before, but not on anything for my own jeep and I don't have long-term results to post. I can tell you if you paint it on with a foam brush, being careful for drips, and let it dry, it's a pretty heavy finish that is a bit glossy. You can also wipe it on with a rag and that finish doesn't end up as glossy, but it will take several coats I think to make it really nice.....and you have to give the stuff a good day to really dry nicely IMO. I keep planning on doing my interior trim in rear cargo, b-pillars and floor trip cuz mine is all washed out from being topless.....but something else always comes up that needs addressed.
The following users liked this post:
jhol111964 (08-01-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are going to change fenders yourself, I would buy a big bag of the correct plastic fasteners before starting the job. The aftermarket ones are pretty cheap. You can get a pretty big assortment of Jeep specific ones for like $20 if you look around a bit.
Old 08-02-2024, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Another option - buy the painted ones.
Old 08-02-2024, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

...or paint the ones that you already have????
Old 08-03-2024, 02:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I bought my JK the roof was rhino-linered, or equivalent, and I think looks great. I'd like to have my fenders done to match but I worry about the textures being completely off. But if your roof is stock then maybe having the fenders lined would look good?

To the OP, pulling and replacing the fenders is an easy job. No need to pay someone to do it. And it was good advise above to buy a bag of fasteners. You'll definitely have some brittle and broken ones when you pull the fenders off.

Quick Reply: JK Replacement Fenders? Experience?