Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Tail lights/blinkers go out when headlights on, or wheel is turned

Old 08-01-2024, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail lights/blinkers go out when headlights on, or wheel is turned

2015 Jeep JKU, Limited Edition “Rock Monster” collab with AEV

Hi all, have looked up every thread I could find on this issue and have already tried the following in this order;

Replaced both R and L bulbs, since I had to hand- no effect (but since lights work when headlights off, that wouldn’t be it)
Pulled and tested M17 and 18, no problems there
replaced turn signal switch
replaced brake switch
unhooked battery leads and zip-tied them together overnight

worth mentioning that abs/carsnake lights came on around same time, but I successfully replaced front pass sensor, so likely unrelated?

The dash warnings for R and L turn signals don’t come on immediately when headlights are switched on, but it’s never longer than a minute. Just about every time the wheel is turned in either direction more than slightly, the warning lights for signals appear.

The warnings disappear and tail lights/ turn signals come begin to function again 30-90 seconds after wheel is straightened, or headlights switched back off.

I have access to a multi-meter, but haven’t used one before.

Any guidance would be appreciated! I don’t have much experience with electrical systems- I’m not going to know correct names/terminology so please be patient with me

TIA

Last edited by murphyjlc; 08-01-2024 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-01-2024, 07:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

The very first thing that comes to mind is the clockspring, and mainly cuz you mention the steering wheel being turned a bit seems to have an effect. That is the common component those signals are running through, and the circuits in that ribbon cable in the clockspring could easily be a bit damaged leading to poor connectivity. Really hard to say for sure, but that is my first thought.
Old 08-01-2024, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
The very first thing that comes to mind is the clockspring, and mainly cuz you mention the steering wheel being turned a bit seems to have an effect. That is the common component those signals are running through, and the circuits in that ribbon cable in the clockspring could easily be a bit damaged leading to poor connectivity. Really hard to say for sure, but that is my first thought.
thanks, I’ll do some research in that direction. I wonder if the clockspring would affect the headlights on/off component here? Doesn’t look at first glance like it’s tied into that circuit? I could be reading diagrams wrong
Old 08-01-2024, 08:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

I'm sorry, it's been a long time since I've broken into mine. now that you say that those connections aren't running through that ribbon cable. I wasn't thinking straight.

Quick Reply: Tail lights/blinkers go out when headlights on, or wheel is turned