Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Airbag Light w/New Instrument Cluster?

Old 07-30-2024, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbag Light w/New Instrument Cluster?

I have an '07 JKU, X model with the plain Jane speedo/tacho cluster & wanted the fancy Rubicon instrument cluster that shows outside temp, MPG, DTE, etc. The Jeep is usually driven by my GF and the temp & DTE info is really useful driving out here in the mountains of Montana.

Found one on eBay for an '08 Rubicon and it was an easy swap. Everything works great EXCEPT I now have an Airbag light on the dash. Tried clearing all the codes with my $120 Autozone scanner & still have it. Swapped the old cluster in & no Airbag light! Put the new cluster back in & there's the Airbag light. I figure one of the following is my culprit:

1. The new cluster has a memory where important events are stored, like Airbag deployment and it takes special equipment to clear it. This cluster came out of a wrecked '08 Rubicon so it may have retained the crash event?

2. Maybe an '08 Rubicon airbag system is different than my '07 and the cluster is just not compatible? This is odd because a guy on YouTube did the same upgrade to his '07 JKU and it worked fine.

Any other ideas and ways to clear the light?

TIA
Old 08-22-2024, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently no one here had any ideas or suggestions. I wound up taking the Jeep to the dealer in Billings and they put one of their Master Techs on it for some other issues. While there, he showed me on his diagnostic computer that the new display was looking for an Occupant Restraint Module, which was not there in my 2007 model. So it was either installing a $600 ORM or covering the offending lamp with a piece of tape. The tape won.

The new cluster is great; it shows outside temp, DTE (Distance to Empty), Elapsed Time, and MPG. It's also MUCH easier to read in the daytime than the old cluster. No need to turn the lights on to be able to see the gauges.
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (08-23-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts

Interesting. Good to know, thanks for following up. I'm sure this will come in handy for someone down the line.

Quick Reply: Airbag Light w/New Instrument Cluster?