Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Hello from a new member

Old 07-29-2024, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from a new member

Hi, I posted a few months back about a vacuum issue but I figured I should get the formalities done. I "pre-inherited" a 2016 2dr Sport hardtop from my in-laws a couple years ago. They pulled it behind their RV so when I got it, it only had 15k driven miles and probably that many towed miles. I am assuming the towed miles only impact the tires and brakes (feel free to weigh in on that). It's white which is not the color I would have chosen, but beggars can't be choosers as they say. I have been lurking around the forums for a while as I plan my build.

For now, I am only going to go with 35in tires. I only drive about 300 miles a month so daily driving performance is not a huge deal. For off-road, it's primarily a hunting and overlanding vehicle so I need to be able to get to where I am headed on the highway and honestly it's been great setup as stock for what I do off-road. About once a year I get into a dicey situation where I worry I might be stuck.

This weekend I started on a Metal Cloak Game Changer 3.5" lift. So far I have only completed the front and it has netted almost 5" of lift! Maybe that will come down a bit once I drive it around and get it aligned, but first I have to finish the rear. I originally was only going to go with a 2.5" lift, but my local shop talked me into the 3.5" in case I want to ever go up to 37s. (yes I know that's a big commitment in terms of all the components that need to be upgraded).

My other goal and honestly this is the most important is I wanted a project to work on with my 14yo son. We have so far had many great memories in the jeep and working on the jeep.

anyhoo, looking forward to learning from you all.

Front end done!
Old 08-12-2024, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! I hesitate to give any build recommendations as I think it really depends on what you plan on doing and your own personal style, but I will say a couple of things:
1. I see you have a hard top, so I would at least recommend a top hoist for ease of removal/attachment of the top. You can buy these pre-manufactured, but honestly they are easy to make on your own (and cheaper!)
2. I also bought a used Jeep JKU that happened to be white. Like you, not my first color choice, BUT...there are a ton of after market color accessories (spiderweb shades, paracord grab handles, trim inserts, etc) that you can use to add pops of color to the jeep and make it your own. And like black, white will coordinate with anything!
Have fun and enjoy the ride!
Old 08-12-2024, 11:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,687 Posts

thanks for taking the time to post. Y, that lift is gonna get you up there if you're not loaded down with all the extra weight many of us are. with that short wheel base, you had better budget for new driveshafts as those factory CVs will be at pretty aggressive angles. you'll likely have a bit of time, but plan on it at least so it's not a surprised when those give up on ya.
Old 08-13-2024, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

I already have a homemade hoist. A buddy had the hoist for an old hardtop convertible and I bought some straps for the hard top. Big Win.

Old 08-13-2024, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Yah, my shop warned me that the front shaft will go first. I love the short wheel base though.

Quick Reply: Hello from a new member